Jelly Palms - worth £60?

fern Rob

Re: Jelly Palms - worth £60?

Post by fern Rob »

I have not got any palms but I would not mind these palms, such a addition to any garden :D
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I have got my eye on some of Nigels pre order butia as well as one or two other bits, just got to save some pennies.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I think a point worth mentioning is an odorata is far more difficult to protect than an eriospathia as the fronds on the former are a lot stiffer in most cases, the eriospathia can be easily gathered tied/fleeced. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

is there any real evidence to suggest that eriospatha is better than odorata in our climate? i find them pretty much on an even keel with the exception of the lush green of erio.
my odorata out fromt has gone greenish now but i suspect thats all of the rain washing the colour out?? both palms rate second after best to trachycarpus for me now,they have proved tougher than most chamaerops in my garden here
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Darren, i agree it is still a bit early to suggest eriospatha is the front runner but it's put on better growth than the other's so far in my garden!. All the butia's i have apart from the big hospital case have but on amazing growth over the winter period so far. The biggest example i've seen near me is somewhere in stourport on seven, which i believe was grown from quite small. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I can say with absolute certainty that Butia eriospatha is the fastest grower in UK climate.
However, things are not always simple, and I can also say that Butia odorata is an easier palm.
Butia eriospatha is much fussier and often languishes , but if you can get one established and growing its well worth it.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel, i know there fussy butter's but since i planted the one i had off you early last summer i've created a large circle feature on the bottom lawn, the erio is now just on the outside of the damn thing as the circle could not be made larger!!, Hopefully these final few tweaks will be the last as i hate moving once planted. I'd say it's been in the ground about 7month's, is it worth taking a careful risk to move to centre circle ? ,about 3ft away if i spade it really wide to not cause a setback. karl.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I always believe that a garden is never finished Karl, it is always evolving and changing. I agree its not good moving big plants and palms around once they are established but there is always something to do in the garden the work never ends. It always seems that I end up doing 10 days work for every 1 day I get to relax and enjoy it. lol
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote:Nigel, i know there fussy butter's but since i planted the one i had off you early last summer i've created a large circle feature on the bottom lawn, the erio is now just on the outside of the damn thing as the circle could not be made larger!!, Hopefully these final few tweaks will be the last as i hate moving once planted. I'd say it's been in the ground about 7month's, is it worth taking a careful risk to move to centre circle ? ,about 3ft away if i spade it really wide to not cause a setback. karl.
If you are going to move it I guess earlier is better than later , but wait until the soil is warm and its growing.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok thanks, i'm going to chew it over for a while as it's settled really well already & i dont want to temp fate!!. I'm even thinking whether i can squeeze another one of your's in to save the risk. karl.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Nigel wrote:I can say with absolute certainty that Butia eriospatha is the fastest grower in UK climate.
However, things are not always simple, and I can also say that Butia odorata is an easier palm.
Butia eriospatha is much fussier and often languishes , but if you can get one established and growing its well worth it.
cheers Nige,that does sound a very fair appraisal icon_thumright icon_thumright
i lost all my chamaerops in the 2010 winter with the exception of the bumblebee tree,yet my odorata out front just fried bad.it was worse than expected and pulled late 2011,flippin deep too,i thought it was curtains as it must have been close to the spoons,cant believe it has come back so well yet i only have 1 decent chammy trunk remaining now.
i also have an erio that i got as a half of half price reduction at akamba.every year the first 2 or 3 new emerging petioles snap off but always ends up with enough leaves to look ok so have to agree with your faster statement icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks for the great thread so far guys icon_thumleft

so seeing as these sound like fussy butters, in many cases, back to the OP,
I've be pretty raging if I spent £150 and it carked it, but £60 I can justify...

is this worth £60 icon_scratch

cordyman wrote:I'm after a Jelly Palm.

I prefer the denser/thicker look of the Butia capitata but apparently the Butia eriospatha comes from a wetter cooler climate so is better suited to the UK?

Butia capitata
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Cordy, what size pot is that in?, how tall is it?. karl.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

You would be better off pre-ordering from hardy palms and getting one twice the size of that for £95 lol.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

greendragon wrote:You would be better off pre-ordering from hardy palms and getting one twice the size of that for £95 lol.
This.

When it comes to Butia it's got to be our Nige.

;)