Phoenix roebelenii question

Gaz

Phoenix roebelenii question

Post by Gaz »

We have a roebelenii bought from B+Q last summer - about 18" or so of trunk.

It was brought into the kitchen for last winter and carried on pushing out near leaves quite happily. However the newer leaves from last winter all ended up a bit brown - not totally, i suspect from being sun burnt. Although there may be another reason. The older leaves remain green, and the new spears emerging look ok.

Its in again this year and i want to avoid the browned leaves, so how is the best way to get it acclimatised next spring - or is this another completely different problem?

Gaz
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I'd like to know also.... all the winter growth (it was in the south facing conservatory) got a slight burn, even though I had it on the deck in shade.

This winter it has to make do in the poly tunnel on the drive, as the 2 Strelizia nicolai that lived in there last winter didn't do well this year, so have been allowed back into the conservatory.

I'm trialling a roebelenii in the front garden this winter to see how it does. Its one of the small £8.98 ones from B&Q earlier this year. Its grown quite a bit so far.

LC
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

These are one of the hardest to acclimatise or so Ive found. They grow nicely in shade under the canopy of ferns and the likes. I had some whopping 2 to 3 metre trunked roebs from Mark Hall that were sunburnt but they come back.
Best give as much shade as possible when put out in spring and very gradually acclimatise with a little sun each day until your happy with the position.
Im cross pollenating some in the conservatory at the moment, had loads of inflorescence before but never set seed so fingers crossed.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

What you crossing them with ?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I had two come through last winter, one in a jungle pot and the other in the ground, both with around 3 feet of trunk. Another smaller roebelenii has come through the last 3 winters for me just tucked under the boos, its been hammered each time but again, it recovers.
I have a nice canariensis x roebelenii cross that needs testing outside but I bottle it each autumn and I think Ill put it away again this year.
I should add our winter temps, last year not too bad with -4s but the previous winter we had -8s, loads of -4s and an all round bad winter. Southampton seems to get some of the coldest temps for some reason.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sorry Lucienc, just with each other, Im just trying to pollenate them, Im crossing or trying to cross my Butia capitata with Lytocaryum weddellianum, Ive just written a bit about that on EPS and and wrongly typed here with the roebs.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Oh I may plant mine out next spring then and let it fend for itself ! I have the perfect shady sheltered spot.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Adrian wrote:Sorry Lucienc, just with each other, Im just trying to pollenate them, Im crossing or trying to cross my Butia capitata with Lytocaryum weddellianum, Ive just written a bit about that on EPS and and wrongly typed here with the roebs.
Ah, I've never been on EPS, maybe I should.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

What are your winters like down there, are you favoured or not?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I bought one last year that burnt quite badly,as a result I didn't bring it indoors but put it in a greenhouse.
All the new growth I've had since has been fine.It was getting full sun for most of the morning and has turned a nice deep green colour.So this year its going to get the same treatment.
Theres a little one that I planted out under my large Trachycarpus thats staying out,so fingers crossed it'll make it.
Steve
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Adrian wrote:What are your winters like down there, are you favoured or not?
From what I remember they're good. I've never put in a weather station to check, but its rare to get a frost, we do get them every year, but they're rare.

Oh to be 120miles further west :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No frost then no problem, try it out.
EandE

Post by EandE »

Hi Gaz,

I think dry air and central heating can have an undesirable effect on some plants over winter. From my experience plants overwintered in cool shady parts of the house with good ventilation have faired much better than those in dryer spots with high light levels.

e.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Adrian wrote:No frost then no problem, try it out.
I didn't say no frosts, but they are very light and go very quickly.

This chap lost all his leaves last winter, but looks fine now :)