kata

ENSETE LECONGKIETII

Post by kata »

In an email this morning from Banana.org, a new kid on the block for Ensete,

ENSETE LECONGKIETII (Musaceae) – a new species from Vietnam
Thứ tư, 23 Tháng 1 2013 16:03 Bộ môn Sinh Thái & Sinh Học Tiến Hóa
Email In PDF.

Ensete lecongkietii(Musaceae)- a new species from Vietnam

Abstract: Ensete lecongkietii is described and illustrated as a new species from Vietnam, adding the number of ensets to be 9 species and one variety in the world, three species and one variety in Asia and two species in Vietnam. The new taxon is smaller than E. superbum in dimensions of pseudostem and leaf and different in floral characters. E. lecongkietii has 3 to 15 female flowers arranged in one or two series, 5 – 6 fertile stamens in male flowers, 5 – 6 open, with- or without-pollen anthers in female flowers, styles shorter than stamens in female flowers or quarter as long as fertile stamens in male flowers, stigma not grooved and irregularly lobed, seeds about 6 mm in diameter and two filiform scales of about 3.5 cm in length and attached almost wholly to (except only one mm length of the apex separated from) the outer tepals.

Have you got Acrobat reader?

http://www.biology.hcmus.edu.vn/index.p ... 12&lang=vi
Mr List

Re: ENSETE LECONGKIETII

Post by Mr List »

doesnt sound to be of any horicultural interest unless it is hardier than other ensete
kata

Post by kata »

Its new,

If its of no Interest then..never mind,

Any more news then its going on my blog if this iarticle s'nt of any 'horicultural interest', I would'nt want to bore anyone ML.

:roll:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Aw Kata, don't take offence. Come and get a virtual smiley hug, it's nearly spring icon_cheers

Ken struggles with positivity at this time of year. It's because he's from Leeds and their football team are rubbish. He's currently getting therapy by playing the How Long Will Blackburn's New Manager Last Lotto with a cash prize of up to 18p

:lol:
callin

Post by callin »

From the picture it looks to me like a big brother of a musella lasciocarpa with a difference in flower color and shape. icon_pirat Ok ...the picture is not so good and i don t have my glasses on.
icon_cheers
griphuz

Post by griphuz »

Well it actually is the small brother of Ensete superbum.

Kind regards,
Remko.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

There's an Ensete called Superbum?

Was it doscovered by the Carry On team?

flounder

Post by flounder »

Superb-um Rick not super-bum :roll:
Dear me, you can tell the kids are restless now spring is here....slinky knickers, now you can laugh :D
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

kata wrote:Its new,

If its of no Interest then..never mind,

Any more news then its going on my blog if this iarticle s'nt of any 'horicultural interest', I would'nt want to bore anyone ML.

:roll:
ya, you took this the wrong way.

it is interesting to hear news of new species but upon reading the artical i found it to be just like suberbum but smaller.
i can't think anybody would prefer that to fullsize thus no real value to gardeners.
ie
of no horticultural interest
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

flounder wrote:Superb-um Rick not super-bum :roll:
I know, I was just exercising my chuckle muscle. They really should have thought about the way it looked on paper though.

Still not as bad as Susan Boyle's Twitter gaffe where she invited fans to hear her new CD: @Susanalbumparty

countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Mr List wrote:doesnt sound to be of any horicultural interest unless it is hardier than other ensete
Never judge a book by it's cover. First we have to grow it in our gardens and check its speed of growth, wind resistance (leaves), hardiness etc. and then we can say something
kata

Post by kata »

Ken struggles with positivity at this time of year. It's because he's from Leeds
:DD
He's currently getting therapy by playing the How Long Will Blackburn's New Manager Last Lotto with a cash prize of up to 18p
Thats plain evil thinking G.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

kata wrote:In an email this morning from Banana.org, a new kid on the block for Ensete,

ENSETE LECONGKIETII (Musaceae) – a new species from Vietnam
Thứ tư, 23 Tháng 1 2013 16:03 Bộ môn Sinh Thái & Sinh Học Tiến Hóa
Email In PDF.

Ensete lecongkietii(Musaceae)- a new species from Vietnam

Abstract: Ensete lecongkietii is described and illustrated as a new species from Vietnam, adding the number of ensets to be 9 species and one variety in the world, three species and one variety in Asia and two species in Vietnam. The new taxon is smaller than E. superbum in dimensions of pseudostem and leaf and different in floral characters. E. lecongkietii has 3 to 15 female flowers arranged in one or two series, 5 – 6 fertile stamens in male flowers, 5 – 6 open, with- or without-pollen anthers in female flowers, styles shorter than stamens in female flowers or quarter as long as fertile stamens in male flowers, stigma not grooved and irregularly lobed, seeds about 6 mm in diameter and two filiform scales of about 3.5 cm in length and attached almost wholly to (except only one mm length of the apex separated from) the outer tepals.

Have you got Acrobat reader?

http://www.biology.hcmus.edu.vn/index.p ... 12&lang=vi

icon_thumleft

I think it's great when members let us know about new plants........especially nana's, I like them all.........

Well done Kata icon_salut
kata

Post by kata »

Ah, thanks Gray, really appreciated,

mwaaaa.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

:oops: :oops: :oops: icon_silent