Doese any of you guys/gals cover up your gunnera over the winter months?Thanks
flounder

Re: gunnera

Post by flounder »

I only cover with its own leaves, but I am in the south so can get away with it
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I bend the leave's over then fleece over the top, I cut the old leave's off and let it have some fresh air when the weather was mild a couple of weeks ago but its covered again, Ive done this about 4/5 year and its survived, I should add its in a pot.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have left my gunnera uncovered and it appears ok :)
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Mines been under a layer of fleece and loft insulation since November.Havent checked it yet,should be ok ?
A bit of dieback wouldnt be too bad as its next to the pond and is getting a bit too big now.
5mtrs wide and 2.5m high,must be the pondwater feeding it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I provided mine with a thick layer of mulch and they covered with the old leaves. In the colder spells I also covered with a couple of layers of fleece. Growth point currently looks ready to go.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I don't cover mine. There was an article in The Garden (RHS rag) about 6 months ago fro the people who have the National Collection of Gunneras saying they don't cover because they think that brings them on earlier and it is the late frosts that then do the damage (on the tender shoots) rather than the depth of Winter.

The ones at Wisley were covered with some very smart, and uniform, looking "tents" made from the leaves. Like a completely idiot I forgot to take a photograph, sorry :(
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Last year was my first year trying gunnera & i planted two 5 litre plants without protection, they are both in the boggy part of garden but currently look like small squashed hedgehog's :shock: Not sure whether they have died or will make a recovery. karl.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Do they perform in pots, I'm 50-50 if to plant in a pot or the ground.

Pete
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Panama Pete wrote:Do they perform in pots, I'm 50-50 if to plant in a pot or the ground.

Pete
No sadly not UNLESS the pot is huge and you have a continual drip feed of water, they need to be sitting with their feet in water really.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I wish i had the room (and the pond) to grow one at its full potential but i dont so i grow mine in a pot..

The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I done jack with mine and it seem OK.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

I put straw over mine.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Mines in a large cold water tank in the ground i put leaves over it have to look at it
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

Ive put a layer of fleece on ours and it seems fine up to now icon_salut