Eager Cycad Revoluta

Andy P

Re: Eager Cycad Revoluta

Post by Andy P » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 am

I have a revoluta in my Conservatory. Bought it from Palmen3103 German E-Bay about last April. It`s a beauty and has gone from strength to strength. Flushed not long after i`d bought it and is looking fantastic. I keep my conservatory at a minimum 5C as i also have Dragon fruit,Chillies and Lemon plants in there through Winter. I`ve noticed that the Cycad has been the only plant in there that has needed watering through the Winter. All the others seem to survive without any watering for months but the Revoluta`s soil becomes very dry and needs a good soaking at least once a week. This implies to me that at Temps above 5C they keep growing- despite the low light levels we get in Winter.
:: Just to add - Just been looking through a few pics i have of the plant about 6 months ago and looking at it now - It has definitely grown since then. The new fronds have elongated and the older ones have drooped a bit lower down. So obviously at temps of 5C or above ( despite our low light levels in Winter) They do keep growing.
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” Mark Twain.

DiCasS

Post by DiCasS » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:02 pm

I tried some small cycads in the greenhouse this year, there is a heater in there, I've kept them in my conservatory other years as I like them where I can see them, but in recent years I seem to have gone overboard with tender things and all are competing for prime space :lol: Anyway, thought I'd take a chance in the greenhouse with encephs, dioons and other cycads, thought they might be able to cope, and have been really pleased. Checked on them again today, watered some, and looks like they're all doing okay.

Next year, or maybe this year, depending on money, I desperately want another greenhouse, somewhere where I can house all my Cycads together. I'd love that. o/h hates the Winter and I start bringing tenders in, he says the conservatory is more like a dumping ground with no-where to sit, which, I have to say, it is :oops:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.

dorothy

Post by dorothy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi my conservatory is the same! Everyone is moaning. My lads normally have their friends in there in winter but no chance this year. Tbh it is a tip :shock: Full of plants, compost, fleece etc. We brought a new shed late last year, the plan being to overwinter stuff in there, but I decided it was too dark so the conservatory was used. Next weekend the plan is to get some clear glazing and put a window in the roof of it. Hopefully then I can use it as a potting shed. :D

Simba

Post by Simba » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 am

DiCasS wrote:Glad some others have moved, Simba, I've never noticed growth in any other years, I'm thinking it must
Well mine put on a tremendous growth spurt last winter, and we don't need a reminder of how cold that was...!!

That trunk grew a good two inches then, and probably another two this winter.
Also, look how the fronds reach for the light...makes it so easy to slot the pot back into its original position on the patio..icon_thumright

The photo was taken this weekend.

Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 pm

Simba wrote:
DiCasS wrote:Glad some others have moved, Simba, I've never noticed growth in any other years, I'm thinking it must
Well mine put on a tremendous growth spurt last winter, and we don't need a reminder of how cold that was...!!

That trunk grew a good two inches then, and probably another two this winter.
Also, look how the fronds reach for the light...makes it so easy to slot the pot back into its original position on the patio..icon_thumright

The photo was taken this weekend.
Wow, that looks lovely Simba.

Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:11 pm

DiCasS wrote:My Cycad Revoluta spends time in my garage over Winter. He likes it and goes every year. He doesn't do anything just sits there waiting to be released again in better weather when generally gives a flush every year - he rarely misses - unlike another one that I've got which refuses to flush regularly so has been consigned to live in the garden this last year :lol: Anyway, went to check on the garage one, and was really surprised to find that he's actually grown over Winter. He definitely wasn't so close to a flush as he is now. Never has been before. I reckon, if he flushes any time soon then this will be the earliest he has flushed for me (if it happens) in the probably 10 years I've had him. Does anyone else notice growth over Winter?

Di

The Cycas Revoluta makes us insane by making us to wait longer than any other thing in our life. We heard stories of thrown away Cycas rising from the dead with multi-headed flush. When it rise from the dead it itself feels like God and makes us to worship it. This incredible thing has stolen many hearts in our city who never heard of it.

As far as winter growth is concerned. I bet in our climate of mostly around 30*C irrespective of winter or summer or rainy some where some cycas will flush. We have hundreds of Cycas Revoluta planted all over our city in exotic hotels, shopping malls ,you name it, I will bring the pictures.

The KEY to Cycas Revoluta flush is you have to bring 38*C for a week with ingradients like perlite and coffee. The next 14 days it will take you to the curling rings of the fronds. The tip of each growing frond appears like a snake tongue which it will realease every couple of hours as it travels in time and space through 14 days as shown in this picture of
the last year 2012 flush.
Cycas Rings.jpg
Cycas Rings.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 774 times

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Has April Fools come early :lol:

Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Freebird wrote:Has April Fools come early :lol:
Don't let Cycas fool you. The signs of Cycas flush are a bunch of new cataphylls grow at the inner most center of the crown a month before the flush and the old fronds bow/bend down and some dry spots may spread on some fronds.

Some are far intellegent to get fooled and that's why they don't arrive early. 8)

Freebird

Post by Freebird » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:23 pm

I wasn't talking about the plant.