I think I must be getting old!

cordyman

I think I must be getting old!

Post by cordyman »

"English from wicktionary

[edit]Verb
potter about (third-person singular simple present potters about, present participle pottering about, simple past and past participle pottered about)
(UK) To potter, to be gently active doing various things in an almost aimless manner."

I think I must be getting old, does anyone else love a potter about with no specific purpose?

On my potter today, I cut the grass, swept the driveway, pulled up some weeds, put some weedkiller down on block paving, did a few runs to the tip, had an organise of the shed, drank loads of Yorkshire Gold, rearranged some of the slate to cover up weed compound, just really pottering about doing things as I came across them, very satisfying this pottering lark icon_thumleft
flounder

Re: I think I must be getting old!

Post by flounder »

Cordy, thats a bit too active to be a potterer. Pottering involves staring into space in between small jobs and taking longer than normal to finish menial gardening chores. What you've described is verging on grafting :wink:
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I consider pottering as starting one job like starting to weed the vegetable patch then after doing only ten/fifteen minute spotting another little job and doing that and then another little job and so on so after four hours you have started but not quite finished ten little jobs and your other half comes out and says she can hardly see what you have done but in your mind you have done plenty, that is professional pottering.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

JBALLY wrote:I consider pottering as starting one job like starting to weed the vegetable patch then after doing only ten/fifteen minute spotting another little job and doing that and then another little job and so on so after four hours you have started but not quite finished ten little jobs and your other half comes out and says she can hardly see what you have done but in your mind you have done plenty, that is professional pottering.
Professional pottering now I like the sound of that! Can it be partaken whilst drinking a cold beer icon_scratch
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

flounder wrote:Cordy, thats a bit too active to be a potterer. Pottering involves staring into space in between small jobs and taking longer than normal to finish menial gardening chores. What you've described is verging on grafting :wink:

Well I was doing it for most of the day, and the number of Yorkshire Gold breaks had me convinced me I wasn't grafting :oops: :lol:
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Drinking a cold beer is one of the requirements to move your status from amateur to professional and the ability to take instructions from the misses and for it to go in one ear and out the other without absorbing a word she has said, there is a subtle list of requirements but it is not written anywhere it can take years of practice to perfect :>beard<:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

im a grand master of pottering. with a bottle in hand what ever ness ask me to do auto responce yes boss.. took yrs to get it right but now my life is peacefull... remember men yes boss and stare into space lol
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Goggle's Dictionary:

Pottering about, the action of absolutely anything that divides the consumption of Budweisers.

;)
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

Im 28 and spent the day pottering around the same as you so i dont think its an old thing at all :D , I put a cold-frame together, re potted the cordyline, sewed some seeds, planted up some bulbs and potted up some root cuttings, then spent an hour on my hands an knees picking the annoying grass out of the patio cause the sodding weed barrier doesn't seem to be doing its job! i do like pottering around as you feel you have had a good day getting lots of little jobs sorted icon_thumleft
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Did a bit of pottering about on Sunday - loved it, as it's not been pleasant enough to do that for months and months!
flounder

Post by flounder »

Had a proper potter today. Swept a path, cleaned a window, stared at some weeds, sat down a lot, sat down some more....yep, proper job icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The whole neighbourhood was pottering this afternoon. We were all chatting over the garden fences, you've got to love spring for bringing the potterers together after hibernation ends.

:lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

I must be getting old as I have been pottering since 7oclock this morning.

First I went to work and spent 5 hours cleaning windows then I came home and had a cup of coffee and 10 chocolate hob nobs.

After that I mowed the lawn and trimmed some palm trees.

Then I stopped for a cup of tea and more chocolate hob nobs.

I then swept the front path and washed down my side entrance prior to painting.

Then I walked 2 miles into town to see if my spectacles were ready? they weren't so I walked the 2 miles back home again seething in strangled choking rage at wasting 2 hours of my life.

So I had another 2 cups of coffee and a big plate of veggies and tuna with lashings of thick gravy.

By then it was getting dark so I slogged another mile over to the St Denys palm house for more tea and biscuits and I am now just going to post this on the forum.

I will be 69 this coming December and I still feel 25?

billdango icon_thumleft
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Wasn't our great nation built on pottering :lol:

It's a well known fact that the UK reached it's pottering peak around 1066.

It's the reason I left school with a great edjicashun.

We can be proud of the fact we can potter our way round most situations, I believe we are currently pottering our way around global warming, loss of biodiversity and pottering our way through the worlds remaining natural resources.

In fact I'm pottering right now :oops:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

billdango wrote:I must be getting old as I have been pottering since 7oclock this morning.

First I went to work and spent 5 hours cleaning windows then I came home and had a cup of coffee and 10 chocolate hob nobs.

After that I mowed the lawn and trimmed some palm trees.

Then I stopped for a cup of tea and more chocolate hob nobs.

I then swept the front path and washed down my side entrance prior to painting.

Then I walked 2 miles into town to see if my spectacles were ready? they weren't so I walked the 2 miles back home again seething in strangled choking rage at wasting 2 hours of my life.

So I had another 2 cups of coffee and a big plate of veggies and tuna with lashings of thick gravy.

By then it was getting dark so I slogged another mile over to the St Denys palm house for more tea and biscuits and I am now just going to post this on the forum.

I will be 69 this coming December and I still feel 25?

billdango icon_thumleft

BILL I HAIL THE KING OF THE POTTER! 10 Hob Nobs with the first brew, well thats just legendary :lol: :lol: icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut I hope to learn the ways of the master potter :shock: