Ensete Maurelli left out all all winter.

marmite2012

Ensete Maurelli left out all all winter.

Post by marmite2012 »

OK last year before joining this forum and not really deciding what i wanted to do with my garden i bought a few plants from b and q. I bought a Ensete Maurelli and it was label red banana, i came to the conclusion after a google search that the roots were hardy, even if the plant died so it got left out. Today i have now realised this should really have been brought inside. I'm guessing it is dead but have just dug it up, chopped the old leaves off and have cleared alot of soil from the roots. I might try to get a photo up but althought the base is damp is dosn't seem to be rotten but i'm not sure what i am looking for. I live in weymouth dorset if that makes much difference. Any chance this may not be dead?
fern Rob

Re: Ensete Maurelli left out all all winter.

Post by fern Rob »

Unfortunatley I think it will most likley be dead :(
flounder

Post by flounder »

Past experience tells me its dead as a dodo, but we all live in hope!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Search overwintering ensettes. Ive got 17 that were stored dry and they all look to have survived but need waking up soon. icon_study
marmite2012

Post by marmite2012 »

The roots are white and feel abit rubbery which don't seem rotten or dead?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Depends on how sheltered it was Steve. Roger Bacardy in the Croydon area has overwintered his next to the house wall over the last couple of winters. Keeping them dry enough is the problem, as cold + wet = rot,
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

if it is alive please let us know what/where and how it was taken care of over winter. overwinter some outdoors could lead to mega monsters in the summer.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

If I remember right, Cathy, who used to post on here a while back, she used to keep hers out back during Winter. Not sure about protection but it used to be tucked up against her house. I'm sure I read that she used to stick pins in the stem to release some of the water prior to cold weather. I think she lives in a pretty nippy spot as well. I'll see if I can find the thread later.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
grub

Post by grub »

Some of the Devon and Cornwall folk have overwintered them successfully outside before and this winter has been fairly mild so you could be okay. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... r+maurelli
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

voodoo :lol:

That's the one I was thinking of, thanks Grub icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I have had them survive outside over the winter before, but in mild winters where it has not dropped any lower than around 0C. I do have a small green one outside still & it is alive though doesn't look too dapper :lol: