Just a picture(s) from last year..

Exotic Life

Just a picture(s) from last year..

Post by Exotic Life »

and the knowledge that I can't wait to sit between them again. Picture is from last october and so far as I know the Washingtonia is 100% alive after this fifth very cold winter in a row. Doesn't know the Phoenix yet, I see some dark spots but it has them every winter. Most of the time the damage on the Phoenix got visuable in the end of spring/start of summer.

With this slow start of spring, was checking the pictures from last year and thought why not sharing this one with the forum. Shared them last year on Facebook, but not everyone is there.

Hopefully everyone can have a good growing season this year!
Attachments
CIDP&Washy.png
Last edited by Exotic Life on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeC

Re: Just a picture from last year..

Post by MikeC »

That washy looks like a filifera to me. I'm convinced the filifera is a better palm for us than the robusta, having grown both over the years.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

But it is a robusta. The only thing that could be more filifera is the hairy stuff, so proberly it has some % of filifera blood. It's very hard these days to get pure ones of course. It's growing there since 2004 as a very small plant so everything growed a bit bigger then normally, thanks to growing up a cooler climate then southern europe.

Funny about your statement over filifera, I just think the opposite. Robusta does grow much faster then filifera and does recover much faster then filifera from winter damage if that happened. Have been growing many Washingtonia over the years and the filifera's does even have more problems in winter when the temperatures are above zero all the time. Robusta and filibusta handle winter much better, specially the humidity. Otherwise the robusta is a bit more frost tender then filifera, but I got very good experiences with robusta so far. In the end if someones ask me I want to experiment with Washingtonia I always advice them with robusta/filibusta. Maybe it could be different in the UK but from the ones who I know they grow Washingtonia in Holland it's most of the time a robusta or a part of it.
waggy1

Post by waggy1 »

Your garden looked really good last year, and I can see why you can't wait for warmer weather to be able to sit there again. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Another one from the front where you entree the garden. Most of the palms does have a height now that there is new space free for underplanting. You people does that very nice with no visuable ground during summer, that's my job for this year as well.
Front.png
Not a palm but just my best flower from last year, hopefully I can enjoy them again.
Bestflower.png
Bestflower.png (401.24 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Nice pictures Exotic Life,

I like your decking and the yellow walls with the paving, did you build the beds yourself?

My garden lacks hard landscaping so that's my big job this year.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Nice pictures Exotic Life,

I like your decking and the yellow walls with the paving, did you build the beds yourself?

My garden lacks hard landscaping so that's my big job this year.
Thanks! The decking is the only part of the garden where we don't use the yellow walls. Yes, I do build the beds myself with some helping hands from my dad. He likes gardenings jobs like that as well, maintaince the garden is something for me.

Building the bed in the front has been a job from spring 2008.
B1.png
B2.png
Here it has been finished from just outside the garden. I put another picture from last year, because I really like the growth speed of this Trachycarpus. Pictures doesn't even give the right view I guess. The fence need a cleaning job as well, it's a bit green due the weather conditions. So enough to do, lets spring begin!
B3.png
B4.png
B4.png (452.95 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Afterall, yellow walls... some people hate it, other people love it. I'm on the last group, and it's something that not everyone has, and the walls attract the heat during summer.
Simba

Re: Just a picture(s) from last year..

Post by Simba »

I have always liked to see your large healthy palms and the yellow beds....it is a very appealing look..... icon_thumleft
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Great garden. Looks very exotic. :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

the yellow walls just scream hot country to me, love them icon_cheers

and that Phoenix canariensis_CIDP being bigger than the door looks like its been photoshopped in, and I mean that as a compliment, what a monster! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

you couldn't have the bit on the street as nice as that round here, it would get wrecked.

it looks very 'somewhere else' icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great garden
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

The decking with the washy and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP look great, especially considering your location! I like the bricked up garden beds and while the colour would not have been my choice I think it would come into its own on dull grey days, its very summery.

What sort of lows/highs do you see in your area?
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Stunning garden, very hot looking :D
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

A picture from this year ;)

Just because it's cold doesn't mean you can't have a life :lol: