Best pot palm for a conservatory?

ourarka

Best pot palm for a conservatory?

Post by ourarka »

I am really after a couple of pot palms for my conservator, preferable around 1m tall. I am after something in the style of H. forsteiana or D. Lutescens, but have had these in the past and they have not thrived (? too cold, ? too dry) Would C. Elegans work well as I have always liked the look? It is unheated in winter, but frost free.
miketropic

Re: Best pot palm for a conservatory?

Post by miketropic »

as long as it dosent get to hot or humid in there. I killed a c. elegans off just the other day from heat. understory shade type palm. as long as you have a bit of space try a caryota mitis. they don;t grow that fast and can look really nice. I have a var. form on the way to put in my media room. they can be taken outside in the summer and do fine indoors all winter.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Parlour Palm, Kentia Palm or Areca Palm are all nice conservatory choices in my opinion.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I had Kentia and Areca before and they really struggled in the conservatory. I am wondering if it got too old,or too dry?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I know they are fairly common but phoenix roebelenii seem tolerant to just about any conditions and they are good value as well.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Don't mind 'common' - so many plants that need TLC that something a little less demanding would be good!
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

The Areca, Kentia and especially Parlour Palm are not too good with direct, hot sun. If a Kentia Palms dries out at least once then it'll die for sure.
Agree with phoenix roebelenii and add Chamearops and also there are a lot of Phoenix varieties. Phoenix will need to be frost free if you want it to look A1. Roebelenii and Rupicola don't have the spikey bits which is a plus.
Thought about the Jubaeas and Butias. These Palms are not just for sticking outside for a good thrashing. icon_cheers
Brahea and Washingtonias too (Washys can be a bit spiky.)

:D
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Washingtonia Robusta, just replace it and sell it off when it get's too big because they grow so fast anyway and can be bought cheap from B and Q.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I have also thought that a couple of potted bamboos would work well, as far more tolerant of heat and cold and pests. It would be watered well, but bound to be dry at times - just wondered which are the more drought tolerant varieties in pots?
cannondale28

Post by cannondale28 »

Most Desert Palms have a tap root to water. I think only things like Catus and Succulents have a water store. I think Cycads "may" store water in the trunk. That's a point; there's Cycads, macrozamia and Dioons to have a look at. Some are more shade loving and humid loving than others. I know Macrozamia Communis comes from Sydney, Oz where they sit under a forest canopy so some plants need looking at.
I think, there are those self watering devices which may help. I would keep the plant in an enclosed pot holder, stick about an inch or two of clay pellets in the bottom and fill with water to almost cover the clay pellets. The pot holder stops evaporation and the pellets delivers the water slowly. Hope that helps. :D