Spec me a lawnmower? Circa £100

Delboy

Re: Spec me a lawnmower? Circa £100

Post by Delboy »

Great choice, like I said before we love ours. So lightweight to use and very tidy.
Not sure which model ours is, we only have a small lawn so it wouldn't be one of the bigger ones.
I think they are all good mowers, supposed to be pretty tough too.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Cordy, we have the rotak 40, its a cracking mower, trouble is its to big now as the lawns disapearing by the month!! :lol: , i reckon the next purchase after this will be a pair of nail clippers :lol: . karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:Cordy, we have the rotak 40, its a cracking mower, trouble is its to big now as the lawns disapearing by the month!! :lol: , i reckon the next purchase after this will be a pair of nail clippers :lol: . karl.
Haha I think you'll just have a forest soon, with a floor of spent Trachycarpus leaves, instead of pine needles! :lol:

Ordered the Rotak 40 Ergoflex today, was 'mirin, my grass after yesterdays cut and it really does look amazing, considering its not even at its peak yet, which normally happens after loads of rain and sun, its looking a million dollars thanks to the Rotak!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Delboy wrote:Great choice, like I said before we love ours. So lightweight to use and very tidy.
Not sure which model ours is, we only have a small lawn so it wouldn't be one of the bigger ones.
I think they are all good mowers, supposed to be pretty tough too.

I chose the 40 today, over the 32 or 36, as 5-10 mins saved per cut, is 5-10 mins sooner to sit down and have a cold beer drunken_smilie1
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

MMMMmmmmmmmmmm Beer drunken_smilie1

Roll on summer
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

what a treat! icon_cheers

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

One thing I adore about the Rotak 40 is its hoover like ability, the grass was covered in the remnants of sawing a trunky budlea to pieces, on the right is after one run over ....

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

My cousin has a mower shop in the village and I sometimes help him out when he is busy.
I can tell you this much, DO NOT BUY cheap crappe from B&Q or Argos. They dont last 5 minutes, you cant get spares and soon have to buy another one.
The best mowers are the ones you can get spares for. They go on for donkeys years. Best seller is the Masport 200ST , i thinks its around £150 , Briggs and Stratton engine, aluminium deck , good cut, and easily and cheaply repaired.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

After a torential downpour last night, i'd now say this is the best my lawn has ever looked in 2 years living here.

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Question for the fellow Rotak owners, what is the best height setting, this is a number 4 cut done tonight, I can go lower to 3 or 2 ? what do you think? I want to keep it thick enough to drown out weeds and moss, but not too long to cause damp and moss ? icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch

ps. I think the various number correspond to cm, so cut in pic is 4cm... so advice from any lawn gurus is appreciated :D

Dim

Post by Dim »

cordyman wrote:Question for the fellow Rotak owners, what is the best height setting, this is a number 4 cut done tonight, I can go lower to 3 or 2 ? what do you think? I want to keep it thick enough to drown out weeds and moss, but not too long to cause damp and moss ? icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch

ps. I think the various number correspond to cm, so cut in pic is 4cm... so advice from any lawn gurus is appreciated :D

during summer, 30mm is what I aim for, so try lowering the mower one notch and see what it looks like ....
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks Dim,

will give 3 a try :D

I didnt want the scalped look which my flymo used to achieve LOL

The bosch picks up every last blade and i've noticed hardly any thatch in my lawn now too, which is a bonus I guess.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Got the same Bosch myself, Cordy. Excellent cut and vacuum on it. I have mine set to #2
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i'll go for 3 next, then try a 2, just to see then :D

Took me a while to "unlearn" my bad lawnmower driving habits, I was walking really slow with it at first and even going back and forward sometimes over one patch. The flymo had scarred me deep. :lol: Now i'm used to it you can pace pretty quickly up and down, only one runover each stripe needed and can get the whole lawn done in 5-10 mins. icon_salut