Post Arctic Washingtidy

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post Arctic Washingtidy

Post by Dave Brown »

Now that the Arctic NE winds have abated, I decided to tidy the Washingtonia. What is surprising is that last year it grew getting on for a foot of trunk. The most badly damaged leaves have now been removed, but those left look a bit tatty. Now we need a sustained warm spell to get good growth motorin' :wink:

Pre Tidy
2013-04-10-19-04-16Washingtonia pre tidy.jpg
Post Tidy
2013-04-10-19-20-42 Washingtonia post tidy.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Post Arctic Washingtidy

Post by GaryW »

Wowza :shock:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It's clear how much growth it put on last year, hopefully we will have a good summer.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

ready for Spring to kick start some lush green growth icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

It certainly grew well last year, It must have liked the wet like a lot of other plants. icon_thumright
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Love that Washy:)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I was sure that high sunshine levels speeded growth, but we certainly didn't get that here over the last year. In fact I'm surprised it didn't uproot and wander off south over winter.

Seems to have loved the water, as much as it must love sun.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by daftbanana »

Not a patch on yours Dave! but here's my 'baby' Washy after unwrapping this week. Kept it in a sheltered, south facing corner wrapped in hessian and I'm quite pleased it appears to be looking ok as are several Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's.
Attachments
IMG283.jpg
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Dave Brown wrote:Now that the Arctic NE winds have abated, I decided to tidy the Washingtonia. What is surprising is that last year it grew getting on for a foot of trunk. The most badly damaged leaves have now been removed, but those left look a bit tatty. Now we need a sustained warm spell to get good growth motorin' :wink:
looking good Dave....... icon_thumleft

Whats the smaller palm in-between the Lunar Module (I think) & Washingtonia? looks like that's taken a beating as well.....or is it my eye sight :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

tropicalwon wrote:
Whats the smaller palm in-between the Lunar Module (I think) & Washingtonia? looks like that's taken a beating as well.....or is it my eye sight :)
It is a Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii. It has very long leaflets but they aren't strong and get damaged easily.It's relatively hardy and stays out but the wind wrecks it :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by tropicalwon »

Dave Brown wrote:
tropicalwon wrote:
It is a Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii. It has very long leaflets but they aren't strong and get damaged easily.It's relatively hardy and stays out but the wind wrecks it :roll:
It looks to be another beautiful palm, just a shame about the weak leaflets...........Blinkin' wind icon_thumbdown to put it politely
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Its a beast!! It should enjoy the lovely long hot summer we are going to get. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

in line with the top leaf of the "Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii. " has the washy started to grow ever so slightly to the right? does it get all day sun?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:in line with the top leaf of the "Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii. " has the washy started to grow ever so slightly to the right? does it get all day sun?
Yes, it leans very slightly. I believe this is caused by the fact it grows into November so starts to follow the sun near the southern horizon, but also that the Lunar Module stopped the leaves on the northern side from going below horizontal. They rested on the roof and so created an artificial imbalance in the crown, tilted south. The spears on Washingtonia try to grow exactly between the open leaves so can grow leaning very quickly compared to most palms.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote:in line with the top leaf of the "Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii. " has the washy started to grow ever so slightly to the right? does it get all day sun?
Yes, it leans very slightly. I believe this is caused by the fact it grows into November so starts to follow the sun near the southern horizon, but also that the Lunar Module stopped the leaves on the northern side from going below horizontal. They rested on the roof and so created an artificial imbalance in the crown, tilted south. The spears on Washingtonia try to grow exactly between the open leaves so can grow leaning very quickly compared to most palms.

ah that makes sense!

Mine is leaning in its pot too, very similar to daftbananas pic above. Its in a pot and one side of leaves usually rest on the decking rails, so I think youve just solved my mystery! decking rail resting leaf = new leaves growing slanted icon_salut

I may repot, or even put it in the ground this year