Post Arctic Washingtidy

rburrena

Re: Post Arctic Washingtidy

Post by rburrena »

I wish I had a palm like that.. one day...
flipper

Post by flipper »

All my Washingtonias that have been in the greenhouse (+5C) is all dried up during the last three months.

Greenhouse in january :)
Greenhouse january
Greenhouse january
Greenhouse in march... :cry:
Greenhouse March 2013
Greenhouse March 2013
The last few weeks the temps have come up to over 30 degrees and full sun, and I have watered, but still there is little or no movement in the new spears... :roll:
Is there still any hope? Do they just grow very slow untill they get some new green leafs up??
:?

Morten
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flipper wrote:All my Washingtonias that have been in the greenhouse (+5C) is all dried up during the last three months.
did you leave them dry ? They can't take drought in a pot
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flipper »

Dave Brown wrote:
flipper wrote:All my Washingtonias that have been in the greenhouse (+5C) is all dried up during the last three months.
did you leave them dry ? They can't take drought in a pot
Yes, pretty dry. Did give small amounts of water, but was more afraid of rot...
They were very wet during the summer and autum.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Last year left in front bedroom and new leaves collapsed due to low light and no water. This year watered and left in unheated plastic blow away. no leaf scorch at all and a firm spear on the way

marmite2012

Post by marmite2012 »

I've had a similar issue with mine. Its spent the last month approx indoors in my unheated garage. Some light but not much. Left quite dry which i now realise is bad! Anyway the leaves have all scrunched up and feel dry. I've now put outside when ever the sun is about, and given water. I hope it recovers as i only bought it last month :(
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

looks much better for that Dave, just seems a shame every time you get it looking fantastic again its time for winter, good job they are so fast growing at least you get a few months of it looking its best until it gets zapped by the cold again.
do you have any problems with your neighbour now or is it too tall for him to get too?
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

Looking good Dave...I am sure that (big)bad boy will take off and look great in no time....

I may need to put some moisture barrier around mine as it appears our 2 year drought
is over and we are moving into flooding now-weather is still cool/cold even with a few
days in the 70s and around 80F....looks like we may have as much as 4-8" rainfall after this week.

Washy is still pushing though!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm22 ... 41be53.jpg
Last edited by jimhardy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

How old is that washy of yours Dave? its looks like perfection for your winters and its size. thinking of trying a filifera myself this year. might do better in my climate.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Dave Brown wrote:
tropicalwon wrote:
Whats the smaller palm in-between the Lunar Module (I think) & Washingtonia? looks like that's taken a beating as well.....or is it my eye sight :)
It is a Phoenix reclinata x roebelenii. It has very long leaflets but they aren't strong and get damaged easily.It's relatively hardy and stays out but the wind wrecks it :roll:
Dave do you have a good photo of the phoenix X? I like the look of it, weak spindly fronds or not. Are there any other P. roebelennii hybrids out there? eg roebelinnii x canariensis? If so does anyone have any photos?

The reason I ask is that there is a group planting of roebelinniis at a shopping centre in town and one just stands out as different. Its about 50% larger than the others in all respects (trunk height, frond length, leaflet length) but otherwise just looks like a standard roebelinnii, albeit on steroids. Im curious about whether it is a hybrid of some sort or maybe just a polyploid roebelinnii...
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Flipper my four washies have been in my greenhouse all winter kept at 10c and I have continued to water them and all my other palms every five days or so and even more since the recent hot weather and they have kept growing slowly, I am sorry but it does not look good for yours, I think lack of water has been the death of them. In my unheated greenhouse though through the very cold months I have barely watered any of my palms (all different types) but even they received some water and as of late with the warmer weather have been getting heavy waterings although most are now outside. I hope they do survive for you but it is highly doubtful I am afraid but best of luck.
kata

Post by kata »

Its a gudun Dave

:mrgreen: