The share the delights of your local garden centre thread...

jezza

Re: The share the delights of your local garden centre threa

Post by jezza »

Steph wrote:I see 'Jezza' as the last post and assumed you were going to praise CHGC, that is your local isn't it?
Saying that I did make it over there and spent a couple of quid, could have done a lot more but I was restrained.
:lol:

Crews is ok but on my last visit they seemed to be heading more towards your usual wyvale type stuff. It's 27 miles on bypass and M25 so quick to get to. It's still ok though so not knocking it.

However my 'local' for all things tropical is smith's nursery in uxbridge but obviously more pricey. I don't have any pics from there. http://www.smiths-nurseries.co.uk/
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i'd love some of the nursuries you guys have down South, exotics in bulk and cheap :cry:
Steph

Post by Steph »

Crews is a funny place, sometimes they have stuff you can't find elsewhere.

Went on Monday and they were awash with Lecodendrons in bloom, guess they were unwanteds from Chelsea or such, you couldn't get one anywhere, anytime otherwise.

Tree ferns were brill, had loads in excellent condition - picked up a C.Brownii & C.Cooperii, which was my intention.

Fortunately I am blind to bedding plants etc but I do agree there's plenty of crappe there as well.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

@ Gordon Riggs HQ in Todmorden earlier, some of the stuff I didn't buy but it certainly piqued my interest

The twin of the other specimen @ Rochdale branch, £350, but no dead pups!

Most stunning Acer i've ever seen, only £15, was real tempted..

WTF! icon_king

Last edited by cordyman on Sat May 11, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Part 2.

Looks like Sorbia Sem

Never heard of this before but OH MY :shock: :shock: :shock:

The minimum 60 *f put me off this, but I was close to putting in the trolly

Dim

Post by Dim »

Scotsdales Cambridge .... the best garden centre that I have ever been to (i live a mile away from them) .... and I have been to many garden centres in the UK

12 month no quibble guarantee on all their plants .... friendly staff .... the bestest restaurant/coffee shop .... weekly seminars by very well known / informed garden experts and all the latest equipment etc

they will source any plant you need

http://www.scotsdalegardencentre.co.uk/
call

Post by call »

wow how could you not pick up those plants at those prices :o
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

wow them Musa banana was cheap i would of had to grab one of them even if it ment breaking the bank lol
all such nice plants ive not seen anything as nice around my way and ive been to a few local places this week just to do a bit of window shopping lol

great finds. icon_thumleft

regards
Steve icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I wish GCs up here sold those plants Cordy, unless im looking in the wrong place i never see exotics like that and at those prices, wow.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Deedee wrote:I wish GCs up here sold those plants Cordy, unless im looking in the wrong place i never see exotics like that and at those prices, wow.
Agreed......nothing like that around here....and even if there was they would be stupid prices.....where as down south the are more of them they drop the prices to get trade.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

wow that garden centre looks great cordy!
a tad too far to ask my neighbours to take me unfortunately,
especially considering they have bought all the plants for their garden now :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

The Codfather wrote:
Deedee wrote:I wish GCs up here sold those plants Cordy, unless im looking in the wrong place i never see exotics like that and at those prices, wow.
Agreed......nothing like that around here....and even if there was they would be stupid prices.....where as down south the are more of them they drop the prices to get trade.
I concur, cordylines are as exciting as you get up here :roll:
Barry

Post by Barry »

Dim wrote:Scotsdales Cambridge .... the best garden centre that I have ever been to (i live a mile away from them) .... and I have been to many garden centres in the UK

12 month no quibble guarantee on all their plants .... friendly staff .... the bestest restaurant/coffee shop .... weekly seminars by very well known / informed garden experts and all the latest equipment etc

they will source any plant you need

http://www.scotsdalegardencentre.co.uk/

Have a 10% of voucher at the moment so a purchase of some sort will be in the offing icon_sunny .Mind you the prices they charge sometimes can be a bit rich although we did get a nice big white Agapanthus in the sister Fordham branch for a £10 ;looks like Scotsdales are spending getting some cash at Fordham with a new tea room* and overhaul of the site,but then it needed it if it was going to compete with Simpsons nursery up the road which is a good relatively cheap source for stock plants and thy have a proper bargain sale area as well,got a nice Hosta and some ferns on Friday(prices have shot up a bit in the last couple of years though).

We will be making our annual pilgrimages to our two favourite nurseries soon,Beeches nr Saffron Walden and West Acre plants near Kings Lynn;bit miffed though that we are going to miss the Plant fair at Creake Abbey though as we have to go to that Lahnden on that day;if anyone is near can deffo recommend it;

http://www.creakeabbey.co.uk/plant-lovers-day-2013

*When we got there on Friday the car park was pretty full but in the plant areas there did not seem to be many people about,lo and behpold get to the tea room and it was full :roll: .It must be me but why go to a Gc and spend good money on average food when you can use the money for the plants?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I don't think many people actually go to a garden centre to get gardening things, mainly a wander and a coffee and cake!....the one up here that use to be wyevale is always empty outside but full in the gift section and coffee/restaurant area.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Popped into my local, huge fatsia spiders webs for only 22 quid, many palms, hardy bromeliads, tree ferns and 1000s of pots.