Ensetes struggling

Tom2006

Ensetes struggling

Post by Tom2006 »

My three remaining Ensetes that made it through the winter were potted up a few weeks ago and started to push up a roller a piece but now they look to be faltering and I'm not sure why. I think I will plant them out and hope for the best and try to pick up some from Morrisons like last year and then just treat them like summer bedding...getting to be too much hassle for me as with the kids I don't have the indoor space.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Re: Ensetes struggling

Post by kata »

:(Awe, sorry to hear this Tom, I know your a caring gardner,

It must be hard to juggle family and plants. If its any consolation my Ensete was out in wind and now I don't know if its alive or dead.

Like your thinking I am also not going to grow anything that does'nt like winter, during winter. I am going away from so many flowers and growing palms and firs instead.

I do hope things turn good for you Tom!

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Similar story here I think. Mine was growing outside in the back garden but seems to have stopped now it's in the front, still potted, and up against the house. The front is cooler than the back but it's probably warmer there now than it was when it was growing out back.

Going to draw a line on it and see if it's moving.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks Kata, I have loads of things to be positive about in the garden so this is just a blip. icon_sunny Just starting to decide what to spend my time on and these ensetes are a hassle considering Morrisons did them for a fiver last year.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Tom, I have arthritis so anything heavier than a plant pot is out of the question,

I could'nt believe how heavy the small log was (fern) No way I can keep picking things up, digging is out. Its costing me an arm and a leg in services like the garden yeterday, the tap fitting thursday, new hose.

I am happy with what I see now Tom.

You have to pay for what you want...simples as they say.

Life is too short to worry/stress about one plant.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

my enestes are cack too. I just saw a pic of how they were in full leaf last April, but it's now May and despite everything else here growing for the last 4 weeks, my enestes seem to be shrinking and shrinking, rotting back. Was gonna be their 4th year in my garden, but they're now so small I may as well replace.

Like Tom says, too much hassle for a plant that can be bought for a fiver!
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine also, strong roots and solid corm but no movement at all. I actually thought they were dead but they are still green at the centre. Very odd behaviour.
pdid

Post by pdid »

And mine, though I'm convinced that it's because I gave them too much water too soon. I left some roots in place and didn't use sulphur over winter either. I also had problems with mold in the shed in early winter due to too little air flow.

The thing is, once cut back, they don't need a massive space over winter and IMO the bigger leaves of 2nd and 3rd year plants are worth the hassle.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

pdid wrote:And mine, though I'm convinced that it's because I gave them too much water too soon. I left some roots in place and didn't use sulphur over winter either. I also had problems with mold in the shed in early winter due to too little air flow.

The thing is, once cut back, they don't need a massive space over winter and IMO the bigger leaves of 2nd and 3rd year plants are worth the hassle.
I left mine potted all winter in the greenhouse and brought them outside for some extra sun and they were caught in a downpour. All the leaves withered soon after that and now I have pollarded them.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

RogerBacardy wrote:my enestes are cack too. I just saw a pic of how they were in full leaf last April, but it's now May and despite everything else here growing for the last 4 weeks, my enestes seem to be shrinking and shrinking, rotting back. Was gonna be their 4th year in my garden, but they're now so small I may as well replace.

Like Tom says, too much hassle for a plant that can be bought for a fiver!
mmmm..... a recurring theme, fron those who have grown these well on the past. Both my ventricvosum and 4th year Maurelii have gone into decline. While 'Montbeliardii' is fine. I have extreme damp with humidity around 95% and no sun through Feb and March and then I put them outside in mid April. This may have been too soon and before rooting properly, giving way to rotting. When I tidied up the ventricusum ans Maurelii yesterday there was a distinct beery fermenting odour.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

I fear I must join the pants looking ensete club. The big one was showing signs of movement, potted up in the usual way but now the centre spear looks decidedly manky. I think I'm going to have to cut it back to decent clean stuff and take it from there.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Mine's struggling also, trying to grow a new leaf but not much movement

Maybe 4 months inside was a bit to much, we carried it in with the two of us, when planted out it weighed not even a quarter of it's weight when it went inside.

I'm not getting a replacement yet, I'll wait this growing season and see out what happens with some tlc offcourse icon_thumright
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've only just potted mine up but the hinibas look fine and the montys ok. The maurelli looks a gonna because all were accidentally soaked and went down to freezing a couple of months back, not a good combination
Steph

Post by Steph »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I've only just potted mine up but the hinibas look fine and the montys ok. The maurelli looks a gonna because all were accidentally soaked and went down to freezing a couple of months back, not a good combination
Bit of luck there, Maurelli being the cheapest option.

Mine, Maurelliis & 'Montbeliardii' are growing away fine.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

I Guess i've been lucky. I have one Green Ensete in decline but my 3rd year Maurelli and 2nd year others are fine. Even the one i gave to the mother in law that was outside in an unheated greenhouse survived and is on its 2nd leaf
...Hope everyones recover