bargain washie?

Birmingham Chris

bargain washie?

Post by Birmingham Chris »

£40....bargain? If so, and if you're in Brum, there's plenty more!!
Attachments
washie.gif
washie.gif (41.12 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
cordyman

Re: bargain washie?

Post by cordyman »

is that a washy? looks more chammy with its pointy leaves?

do you have a better/biggerpic?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thats a Chamaerops, which isnt a bad thing as washies aren't really long term palms for us in the midlands.
Homebase are doing good sized ones for £40 too.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Forgot to add that they look good for the money.
Birmingham Chris

Re: bargain chammy?

Ah, Yes! sorry - I keep doing that recently (it's my age...) it is a chammy and have tried to change title appropriately but can't (if anyone can, please do!).

oops! I am quite clever, really, believe it or not!! :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Birmingham Chris on Wed May 08, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steph

Post by Steph »

I thought for a mo you were going to say Akamba being in B'ham.
Birmingham Chris

steph - Akamba is great for stuff, and I know everyone raves about it, but being on my doorstep, maybe I'm a bit complacent......I rarely find a 'bargain' there.

Great plants, priced fairly: yes, but a 'bargain'.....hmmmm......
dino

Post by dino »

Birmingham Chris wrote:£40....bargain? If so, and if you're in Brum, there's plenty more!!
Where then Chris?
Birmingham Chris

hey Dino - long time, no speak!

On Erdington high street - between two Polish shops, there's an Asian guy who has LOADS of this kinda stuff all year.

He follows you around telling you everything is hardy (even the tomatoes!) so you have to know your stuff, but he's a decent guy and the plants are amazing. Just walk down the high street and you can't miss him, it's all out on the pavement....much to the consternation of the PCSO!!!

also, i challenge you to go in one of the polish shops and not come out laden with the most wonderful food!!
Last edited by Birmingham Chris on Wed May 08, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dino

Post by dino »

OK thanks, have you seen the trachys in pots on Chester Road going towards Sutton?
Birmingham Chris

yep! I have a Land Rover too!....thought about having an accident with a trackie there, and getting it in the truck - they look really healthy and this is about their 3rd year,so will be fairly hardy!! they had some fantastic purple ricinus there too one year - not sure the council realised it's, like, a terrorists favourite poision :lol:

where abouts are you then? or where do you work - if it's local you're welcome to pop in for a beer and as look at the garden!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Birmingham Chris wrote:steph - Akamba is great for stuff, and I know everyone raves about it, but being on my doorstep, maybe I'm a bit complacent......I rarely find a 'bargain' there.

From my two visits, I have to say Akamba is verrrrrrrrrrrrry expensive.
Birmingham Chris

didn't want to say it, Cordy, so I'm glad that you had the boll*cks to!!!

I know that lots of their profit goes to charity, but I like to choose who I give to (and I do have a standing order for 2).

But on here, I think it's bad to criticise them....they seem to be the Holy Grail!!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Birmingham Chris wrote:didn't want to say it, Cordy, so I'm glad that you had the boll*cks to!!!

I know that lots of their profit goes to charity, but I like to choose who I give to (and I do have a standing order for 2).

But on here, I think it's bad to criticise them....they seem to be the Holy Grail!!

Put it this way if both occasions hadn't been a divert from another journey, i'd have been well unimpressed. My eyes were watering at the pricetags :cry:

I know you can haggle for some of the bigger stuff, but I just like to see a good honest deal there and then.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Birmingham Chris wrote:steph - Akamba is great for stuff, and I know everyone raves about it, but being on my doorstep, maybe I'm a bit complacent......I rarely find a 'bargain' there.

Went there once, never bothered to go back again - nothing I can't source within 25miles or mail order for less.
Have they got any stock at the moment?