Cyathea Cooperi

fern Rob

Cyathea Cooperi

Post by fern Rob »

Just took delivery of three small C cooperi today from Shady plants, they where really good quality and well packed for the delivery. Really impressed with the plants. :D
Just potted them up.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
waggy1

Re: C cooperi

Post by waggy1 »

Rob, I'm glad your ferns arrived safely. The all look good and healthy and I hope they grow well for you.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mine are due Fri/Saturday as well, should be interesting to grow them from something so small.
Are you putting them outside straight off?
Looks a nice company to deal with.

Picked up a Brownii & a Cooperii at CHGC at the weekend, so these babes should be grown by the time the others outgrow anything I can do to overwinter them.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

the large one I got a few weeks ago seems to be ok its on a constant drip feed to the crown and in the shade but it is slow to put out new fronds..only one in the last 3 weeks. Yours look super healthy Rob
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have potted them up from the 9cm pots to 2lt pots. I'm leaving them in my poly house to get them going. The only way to protect them in winter is to bring them inside, greenhouses get to cold. :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They look great, just like the ones I got a couple of years ago. Mien are putting out 2 feet fronds already.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Hope these C cooperi are quick to establish.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

miketropic wrote:the large one I got a few weeks ago seems to be ok its on a constant drip feed to the crown
Mike, i've read a few times that watering into the crown of cyathea's is not recommended. More important to keep the outer trunk damp and water to the root.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine are suffering from lack of shade at the moment, getting full sun from sunrise to about 2pm. Can't get the balance right with sun and shade..... too much sun for many plants in summer, and too much shade in winter :roll:

It will be easier to keep small ones shaded, mine are about 8ft diameter now.

PS changed the title to the full name, correcting the species spelling. It may sound piccy, but searching for misspelt plant names is difficult :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Cyathea Cooperi

Post by dorothy »

Hi they look really good! I brought three small one from the same place last year and they looked like that. However since I've had them, I'm struggling to keep mine going. All the fronds keep browning off. I have kept it moist so don't know what's going off. I only reported mine into 35cm pots because they are so small. Should they have gone in bigger pots? Also Arlon mentions that you should not water the crowns. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

dorothy wrote: Also Arlon mentions that you should not water the crowns. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? :(
I don't think he means should not water the crowns, as they get wet in the rain, it's the drip watering into the crown. They need their roots moist in preference, as they don't have roots in the crown. Think of it as a palm :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

dorothy wrote:Hi they look really good! I brought three small one from the same place last year and they looked like that. However since I've had them, I'm struggling to keep mine going. All the fronds keep browning off. I have kept it moist so don't know what's going off. I only reported mine into 35cm pots because they are so small. Should they have gone in bigger pots? Also Arlon mentions that you should not water the crowns. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? :(
Cyatheas like Brownii, cooperi, Medullaris are verry suseptable to rot in the crown as they seem to hold water in the hairs on the croziers, in my exsperience watering cooperi in the crown is not good for the plant.