Solid cold frame/growhouse?

Tom2006

Solid cold frame/growhouse?

Post by Tom2006 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 pm

I have just thrown my small three tier poly house/ cold frame away. It was never much good and I now would like something a little more solid and long lasting without the cost. Does anyone have any pointers as to what to get and where to look please? I have seen some nice wooden ones but they cost well in excess of a £100!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

fern Rob

Re: Solid cold frame?

Post by fern Rob » Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 pm

Timber is cheep, probably best to build one. I'm thinking of building some staging for my poly tunnel has it would cost a fortune to buy.
Rob
( Tree Fern hunter )

Tom2006

Re: Solid cold frame?

Post by Tom2006 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:52 pm

fern Rob wrote:Timber is cheep, probably best to build one. I'm thinking of building some staging for my poly tunnel has it would cost a fortune to buy.
Sadly I'm not much good with wood build, plus I have very little time to do anything like this now I have three little ones running around my feet. :lol:

Andy P

Re: Solid cold frame/growhouse?

Post by Andy P » Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Have you thought about knocking one up yourself Tom? If you bought some 2x2 softwood and some decent quality polythene i think you could build a decent one for about 40 or 50 quid and it would last for years. I`ve found that all the ones you can buy are so fragile that they`re not really fit for purpose, unless, like you say, you pay well over a hundred quid for them. I bought a roll of very heavy duty polythene last year big enough to build a 5ft square one for under 30 quid and 2x2 rough sawn softwood doesn`t cost that much.

** sorry fern Rob types faster than me. :lol:
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” Mark Twain.

Lys

Post by Lys » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:55 pm

Tom what did you end up with?

I'm looking around for something this year. After several years of using the 'tiered mini greenhouses' I've given up on them. I've had the whole thing blow off like a huge balloon. and Last year after weighting it down had the 'sturdy tubular steel' behave not so sturdily and contort into an usable shape. :roll:

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 am

I didn't do anything in the end as had no time.

Blairs

Post by Blairs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 am

I have used this coldframe/mini greenhouse for a few years and recommend it. Easy to build and only £40.

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/wooden-grow-house

They often have 15% off that price (check hotukdeals for voucher codes) and you can also get money back via quidco and the like.

In the spring I put it in the greenhouse for extra shelf and a little extra heat.