Palm not looking good

en3rmax

Palm not looking good

Post by en3rmax »

Hi there HT,

I've been to my cousins house tonight and he has a nice Phoenix roebelenii that looks in pretty bad shape!! He cut the dead fronds off.

Is there any hope for this plant to grow new fronds as it's root ball seems in good shape?
Attachments
2013-05-13 16.42.03-1.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Re: Palm not looking good

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Did he leave it outside unprotected over winter? If so, what temperatures did his area see at the lowest point? These palms can't take much below -5c and defoliation is not a good sign.

If the fronds only turned brown once things warmed up then it might be cell damage that has only become apparant once transpiration has started.

I'd recommend he brings it indoors, stands it in a saucer full of water that is refilled every day and a slow release fertiliser spike added to the pot.
en3rmax

Post by en3rmax »

Hi there, The palm was kept in his conservatory over winter but he might of put it outside to early - we live in Birmingham which has some pretty cold nights still. So would it be best for now to bring the palm into the warm and give it a regular water with some feed? He has so palm focus liquid feed for it.

Thanku for all the info.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Gogglebox is right, they're not really outdoors hardy, especially not in Birmingham which seems to get very low winter temps, and I would agree to bring it indoors again to see if the heat can kickstart it back to life. I know it's May now and it should be fine outdoors at this time of year, but as it's defoliated (I can't see any emerging spears) it's a different situation.

However, I think I might go easy on the watering, and only keep the compost lightly moist, so it's not sodden. I wouldn't let it dry out completely, but without any foliage it won't be requiring much water, so there's a danger of rotting from overwatering.

I've seen washingtonias, chamaerops and butias recover from defoliation, but not a phoenix so I wish you good luck! icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Hi,

Phoenix roebelenii, with common names of pygmy date palm or miniature date palm,

(a) It has dense root ball so you've got your work cut out for you if you decide to move it.

(B) has the pot got holes to allow water drain? I had my Trachicarpus in a pot on two pieces of wood so water was'nt sitting in the root system rotting the roots.

Push a finger in the compst to see if its wet through or bone dry and act accordingly if dry, if wet allow to dry out. Its now sunshine will be good but watch the temps frost can still occur.
Phoenix roebelenii, is a popular ornamental plant in gardens in tropical to warm temperate climate areas. With a minimum temperature requirement of 10–16 °C (50–61 °F), in cooler areas it is grown under glass or as a houseplant. It needs little pruning to develop a strong structure, is resistant to pests, is tolerant to soil variation, and is moderately drought tolerant. The plant grows in partial shade to full sun, with the local climate determining where to plant. In the Southwestern U.S. desert areas, morning sun is recommended.
Any Insects in the roots like evil Vine Weevil?
en3rmax

Post by en3rmax »

The pot does have good drainage holes in the bottom and the potting mix is good quality potting compost sharp sand and perlite so it drains well but retains moisture. We'll just have to keep it inside water when needed and wait and see... fingers crossed. I hate to see plants like this die, I try my best to save them.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Kata, tropical or subtropical websites don't help much on UK culture, as I bet they don't even mention frost.

Phoenix reobelenii, same as most Phoenix palms, like to have their feet in water, even in winter. Completely drying out is a problem to them. They may be drought tolerant, but don't grow at all when dry, and are an Red Spider Mite banquet if dry under glass. Ideally keep in a dish of water as Goggs said.

I would dispute the -5C as that is in a climate with +10 or 15C by day, but they are ok here kept frost free :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by RogerBacardy »

If you ever get any advice here, what Dave Bown says supercedes it all! He's the one who has been doing this lark for decades, so knows a thing or 2. :D I didn't realise they like that much water when recovering, but I suppose pots dry out quickly and it does have 2 fronds remaining icon_thumleft

Actually, now you come to mention it, the Phoenix canariensis (the cousin of the palm in question), does have a massive root system. I was surprised by how much root it puts out in just 1 season.. not that it stopped it dying in the winter! :oops:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Googs and Dave B are completely right about standing this palm in a saucer of water which is topped up every day. I have one in one of my fish and chip shops and the staff are instructed to water it every day. If they forget for one single day you can tell as the lower leaves will show it.

It can drink 2 litres of water each and every day which is quite exceptional! And is all the better for it.

This picture has just been taken of it by one of the staff and sent to me so I could put it on the forum for you to see.
Attachments
Pigmy Date Palm.jpg
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Other angle
Attachments
Pymgy Date Palm 2.jpg
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've had mine indoors for the last 2 winters and, whilst it has continued to push out new spears during summer months outside, it has absolutely thrived indoors and continually has a huge thich solid spike of new emerging fronds. It opens between 8 and 15 new fronds each winter.

Last summer I even placed a saucer beneath it to catch rainwater whilst outside.

Tell your brother that, if it does regrow, he should be careful when putting it outdoors not to burn the new fronds. A shady spot is better than full sun and acclimatising them by putting a fleece bag over the fronds for a couple of weeks also helps.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes they wont take anywhere near -5C, anything lower than 0C can damage them & just -2C can kill them as happened in my own garden... The pot does look very dry, if it has completely dried out then that can also kill them, palms that have dried out wont come back like many other houseplants will...
kata

Post by kata »

Fine..fine..fine Dave,

:(
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Echo the above, Max. Sometimes palms take a long time to recover from spear pull. My potted Phoenix canariensis_CIDP was given up for dead after freezing up in a recent severe winter and left for a month bone dry in an emptied greenhouse - not with the intention of starting it up again - I just forgot it! When I came back from holiday at the end of August there was six inches of spear.

If it hasn't produced a spear by the end of summer I think you can safely say it's a gonner.