First Brugmansia flower of 2013 season

Dave Brown
Site Admin

First Brugmansia flower of 2013 season

Post by Dave Brown »

I have my first Brug flower of the season this morning, and when they start this early they tend to flush throughout the summer and autumn. I think it may have made a mistake choosing today to open, I would have waited until the approaching storm had passed. :lol:
Attachments
2013-05-14-08-43-26 Brug Flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: First Brugmansia flower of 2013 season

Post by otorongo »

My B. suaveolens still have barely any leaves, but the plants were outside all winter.
Presumably yours was in the conservatory and never dropped its leaves?

Mine were in flower until early December, then lost their leaves gradually over the winter in the cold and wind. Now they're very slow to take off.

The sanguinea, however, has fully leafed out and looks great. No flowers yet, but it shouldn't be long.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

otorongo wrote:The sanguinea, however, has fully leafed out and looks great. No flowers yet, but it shouldn't be long.
Isn't Sanguinea an Autumn flower-er? or can its flowering be triggered by cool temperatures around now?
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Great looking Brug icon_thumleft ....Quite surpised it's not been mangled in this wind...
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Kristen wrote:Isn't Sanguinea an Autumn flower-er? or can its flowering be triggered by cool temperatures around now?
I didn't know about it being an autumn flowerer, but it had flower buds in March. The frost killed them, if not for that it would probably be in flower now.

Last year I saw a sanguinea in flower in October in San Francisco, the temps were around 30C (15C at night) so still pretty summery.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Nice to see one in flower this early. I've a new orleans lady Brug and it has huge leaves! It's about 2ft and not branching yet. I've brought it back in coz of the strong wind we've had. I can't wait to see the flowers. :DD
kata

Post by kata »

Very nice flower Dave

Well done!

:mrgreen:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I have exactly the same flower which comes out early. Trouble is mine did it in April last year and this year it's not even in leaf :(
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

My Brugs aren`t even in leaf yet! They`ve been trying but the temps just keep dropping down so low that they stop,the tiny new leaves just turn yellow and then drop off. i`ve got 2 Brugs that are both around 6ft tall but both of them are just big twigs at the mo. :(
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

My var. One is a single stem off 1 side of the y.. it is in full leaf but I think it needs cut back so it will branch..no flowers not even sure of there color.. very nice one dave
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think all of mine are the same now. I did have Canary Bird, Charles Grimaldi and Snowbank (Variegated). Snowbank I lost in 2009 after an early, unexpected frost, so this is one of the other 2.

All of my current Brugs are now in leaf. The one in the pic was overwintered in the Lunar Module and although the stat was set to 5C it dropped to 2C due to a rubbish stat :roll: It lost most of it's leaves, but not all. This meant it picked up where it left off at end of March once winter was finally over. The current flower flush was already set on the plant last Decemeber, so they have just expanded over the last 6 weeks.

The others were in the frost free Polytunnel. The bigger ones remained in leaf bud while the smaller ones totally defoliated. These need water to activate them so if you are waiting for growth before watering that may be why you are still waiting. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Looks very purty indeed! icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well since you lost you variegated one maybe a trade is in order since I have to cut mine back again anyways... :lol: