black bamboo leaves brown

Panama Pete

black bamboo leaves brown

Post by Panama Pete »

I was given a clump of black bamboo but it has gone brown. Its had plenty of rain but no new growth. Is this type a fussy one to transplant?

Shall I cut back and feed.
karl66

Re: black bamboo leaves brown

Post by karl66 »

Pete, black bamboo can be fussy especially if it's not getting enough light, mines never gone brown but its also the slowest boo in my garden as its in semi shade, I guess if your rootball wasn't sufficient then it wont sustain the plant. karl.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Can you post a pic? I would like to see the browning.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine are browning quite a bit and they are in the ground. I think its due to the bad weather so far this year and certainly up here because its been very dry.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

Hi my leaves are quite brown, I got mine last year in summer from a guy who had split a clump. Cut big canes as soon as it was planted left about 10 on about 6ft each. In the last month though I have noticed 2 shoots forming but growing very slow. My philostachys aurea is the slowest, not one shoot on either. hope ive spelt it correctly lol
karl66

Post by karl66 »

parkysparky wrote:Hi my leaves are quite brown, I got mine last year in summer from a guy who had split a clump. Cut big canes as soon as it was planted left about 10 on about 6ft each. In the last month though I have noticed 2 shoots forming but growing very slow. My philostachys aurea is the slowest, not one shoot on either. hope ive spelt it correctly lol
That's just the opposite to my aurea!, my ones are shooting all over the place & apart from my yashadaki is the best grower . karl.
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

Very strange plants my bamboos, watching video on YouTube and guy stated aurea was a runner but I always thought it was a clumped. Also not sure what height I can expect from aurea and nigra
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I think technically both of the mentioned are runner's but in the uk a lot depend's on what sort of soil there planted in & also light condition's. I have to say all my aurea are well behaved, some after being planted out nearly 3 years. karl.
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

Oh, will have to keep an eye on them as they are straight in ground. I have a few diffent types other than these inclucding japonicas ( big arrow head type leaves and a sasa but this is new and tiny. Am I asking for trouble
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Japonica's :) I have one large beast planted out & its in a root barrier right at bottom of garden!!, its lush & growing well but I don't trust it, I intend to control it as soon as it becomes an issue. Just off topic, phyllostachy spectabilis is a stunning bamboo when planted out & is very well behaved in my garden. karl.
jezza

Post by jezza »

karl66 wrote:phyllostachy spectabilis is a stunning bamboo when planted out & is very well behaved in my garden. karl.
Got one planted in my garden and has been in the ground for 5 years now. First 3 years it kept itself in one place then the 4th year it decided to try and do a runner. It has concrete barrier so cannot go anywhere except up and over, which i noticed today that it has started to do so i cut them off.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I think with all bamboo's except clumper's, folk need to keep them in check!, if any of mine start to put there trainer's on in future they will be terminated & took out for good :lol: . karl.
jezza

Post by jezza »

I dig out a couple of clumps every year to keep it in check.
parkysparky

Post by parkysparky »

Could do cart wheels looked at my aurea and nigra both have some really big canes emerging. Forgive my excitement but it is the first sign that my garden is growing.