Never give up on Ensete seed :)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Never give up on Ensete seed :)

Post by Dave Brown »

Last year I bought 100 Ensete ventricosum seed, treated them the same way as I normally do by putting them in hot water which expels air then allowing it cool down drawing water inside the seed coat. These were then popped into a ziplock bag with moist moss peat, and put into the propagator at approx 30C. Although I have had 60% germination in the past using this method, it didn't work well this time, with only 11 germinating (11%). The seed remained in the prop from Feb to July and eventually they were the only things in there so the prop was turned off and the seed bags put in an empty pot and forgotten about.

I then rediscovered them in March this year a so popped them back in the prop which was in use again. I have not really looked at them for 6 weeks until 2 weeks ago, and to my surprise I could see green through the bags. Not really had time to do anything with them until yesterday, When I took the bags out, the full scale of the 2nd year germination became apparent, with 14 new seedlings. 12 of these were big enough to be potted into pots with 40% farmyard manure, 40% peat/recycled green waste compost and 20% perlite :wink:
Attachments
2013-05-19-11-42-06 Ensete seedlings in bag.jpg
2013-05-19-12-15-58 Ensete seedlings potted.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Never give up on Ensete seed :)

Post by kata »

I will look after one of them... :wink:

Very good Dave, nice surprise for you.

icon_cheers
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Great news & well done Dave icon_salut

It is lucky you re-discovered them or they might of perished forever..........
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

The seed coats must have inhibitors on them that prevents germination. I think it is the reddish-brown stuff on the seeds. I try to wash it off with a nail brush but I guess that some must remain. I have only had 1 out of 50 seeds germinate this year, but plan to keep going with them.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

those get HUGE over here best of luck with them.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Great result Dave icon_thumleft looks a beauty already drunken_smilie1
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Just trying some Ensete seed again, glaucum and ventricosum. Put in a plastic tub with vermiculite after giving them the DB hot water soak. I suspect I'll still be checking them this time next year.