Paulownia tomentosa

miketropic

Re: Paulownia tomentosa

Post by miketropic »

Kristen wrote:I'd leave it until autumn and then cut it back and only allow one bud, from the leader, to develop next Spring. This year, given it is still small, I think it will benefit from having maximum leaf area for energy production.

I just get the feeling it needs to come off but I do think your right. It has some good size leaves on it so it is contributing to the growth of the plant..leave it on till fall then!.
any way to get it to root over winter so I have another to put someplace else in the garden?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

miketropic wrote:any way to get it to root over winter so I have another to put someplace else in the garden?
Dunno about cuttings, but they are easy from seed ... take a bit longer to make a plant, than a cutting, I suppose.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

donno if anyones interested but Bents garden centre near Warrington (not far from the M6) has 2foot plants on sale. I just picked one up for £7 which i thought wasnt bad for the size (usually bents can be a little dearer).
They also have the biggest tree ferns ive ever seen. At least 20foot so if you like your tree ferns may be worth a visit
juneil5

Post by juneil5 »

miketropic wrote:
Kristen wrote:I'd leave it until autumn and then cut it back and only allow one bud, from the leader, to develop next Spring. This year, given it is still small, I think it will benefit from having maximum leaf area for energy production.

I just get the feeling it needs to come off but I do think your right. It has some good size leaves on it so it is contributing to the growth of the plant..leave it on till fall then!.
any way to get it to root over winter so I have another to put someplace else in the garden?
I ve been growing Paulownias now for years from seed. Let your plant get established so it has a degree of wood, then in late March pollard it, it should then throw up its enormous suckers which produce its massive leaves.
By the way if you are wanting it to flower you have to let it go. A mildish autumn/winter should see it flower
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

anyone know if these will air layer? was going to give it a try and give the side shoot to my friend if it will but I don't want to try it for nothing.
pdid

Post by pdid »

My biggest 3rd year from seed now poking out above basjoo and Trachycarpus.
Attachments
image.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

juneil5 wrote: then in late March pollard it
perhaps you can tell me a logical reason why to pollard in March. Mine get pollarded in September/October when they look tatty, and come back bigger every year.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

is there a proper and non proper way to pollard one of these..since this is my first year with it I don't want to kill it, its growing so well.

What is that in the lower left of your pic P did..looks similar to a fatsia?
pdid

Post by pdid »

miketropic wrote:is there a proper and non proper way to pollard one of these..since this is my first year with it I don't want to kill it, its growing so well.

What is that in the lower left of your pic P did..looks similar to a fatsia?
Schefflera Rhododendrifolia, although I think you may have already figured that out judging by the post you made on my blog Mike icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Pollard mine in Spring and Autumn and get equally good results.
Jul 13 Plants & Maria 065.JPG
Where I pollarded it three years ago
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

chrismc wrote:donno if anyones interested but Bents garden centre near Warrington (not far from the M6) has 2foot plants on sale. I just picked one up for £7 which i thought wasnt bad for the size (usually bents can be a little dearer).
They also have the biggest tree ferns ive ever seen. At least 20foot so if you like your tree ferns may be worth a visit

20 foot Dicksonia antarctica? :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :shock: :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
chrismc wrote: They also have the biggest tree ferns ive ever seen. At least 20foot so if you like your tree ferns may be worth a visit

20 foot Dicksonia antarctica? :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :shock: :shock:
Depends on if you want to look at your Dicksonia antarctica, or sit under them
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by parkeey »

update -its absolutely surprised me , its bigger than me , done really well this year loads sun and watering it really looks like jack in the bean stalk! :D

not very thick like GREVILLE , that is seriously thick stumps,were did u purchase yours, must be a good few years old.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Really pleased with mine this year too. It's done very well indeed considering it was uprooted and replanted last March. Massive leaves compared to last year and it's around 8ft tall and still going.

callin

Post by callin »

Hi,
my paulownias from seed, planted in the ground in May has grown to 3 metres high.
They grown like never before. The reason it is, I think, the fact that this year I irigate them every 2 or 3 days in warmer days. They grew like mad.
IMG_2503.jpg
I noticed that your leaf shape is more elongated and mine are more round shaped.
icon_cheers