Found why my planted out Colocasia weren't growing :-o

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Found why my planted out Colocasia weren't growing :-o

Post by Dave Brown »

Last year I left many Colocasia planted out mulched heavily, with some covered with bell cloches or propagator lids. They were very late to show any movement due to winter continuing right up to the start of April. Then with some warmer weather shoots appeared :wink: I kept thinking the first leaf will appear soon, but they seemed to have stalled. It has been exceptionally dry so they were watered with hose warmed water, but that made no difference icon_scratch

Last weekend I removed the cloches and had a real close look to see what was going on and :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: Where the general garden has been cold and dry, I have created a warm humid greenhouse, complete with tender succulent shoots, yes it's a Slug farm :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: The little butters were grazing the Colocasia shoots, back to the rhizome, on a daily basis overnight, so to me they were just not growing.

I've been trying not to use too many slug pellets in case it was causing problems to other wildlife like frogs and birds, but had to relent and put a few under the cloches. The next day they were dozens of slime trails, signs that the pellets were doing their job, and instantly Colocasia growth was visible.

Now after a week there are good signs of growth, but the slugs have set them back by about 6 weeks. :roll:
2013-05-22-12-15-10 Slug eaten Colocasia Mammoth.jpg
2013-05-22-12-14-42 Colocasia gaoligongensis leaf.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Found why my planted out Colocasia weren't growing :-o

Post by Mr List »

all that is left from my formosana and goaligonenisis are a couple of stolons with little green nobbles on.

will these turn into plants if left in the garden?
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Destructive little bggrs. I couldn't understand why my Hippeastrum flower was leaning over and then I discovered the stalk nearly eaten right through.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Didn't realise you were such an animal lover, Dave. You can always be selfish by cooking and eating Colocasia esculenta, itself. Very nice garnished French-style with crustacea
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I seem to have more of a slug problem here this year than I did last year..some things are not even recognizable and I have put out all kinds of slug bait.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:all that is left from my formosana and goaligonenisis are a couple of stolons with little green nobbles on.

will these turn into plants if left in the garden?
Yes when it warms up :wink:

I've worked out that it is the pine needle mulch is the problem. It is excellent for insulation overwinter, but is creating a cool moist lose material that the slugs can move about under, so it is like a permanent cool damp night, and they have grazed everything that should be growing where the pine is.

I've removed it all today. and will use pea gravel instead for summer, as it warms up and conducts the the heat to the soil, but stops evaporation icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Had the same happen here, not will Collies but Bromarea which I thought should have been above ground by now. On further inspection - hands and knees job, found all the shoots had been munched off at soil level :( Very frustrating!!!

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.