My tiki hut on the cheap....

stevieboy1

My tiki hut on the cheap....

Post by stevieboy1 »

Hi all as a lot of people know i want a tiki hut in my very tiny box garden but on my non existent budget with living on hardly any moey yada yada the only way I would be able to get close to having a tiki type hut would be for me to build one myself as cheap as i can. So far it has cost me around £13 yes £13.. That was for 3 packs of nails i needed and a tub of creocote as I ran out. I thought i would talk my way though as I post this.

1) I started by fixing 3 lenghs of batton together i found in the garage dead center and spread them out evenly to form a 6 pointed base frame I measured this to be about 8inches shorter than i wanted it as the plan was to fix the posts at each end of the frame so would give me the 6 main poles evenly spaced out in an hexigon as follows:

2) Now how can I aford wood....the answer is I cant. :? So Im a member of freecycle a web site that you can ask for or reply to offerd adds for people in the local area with stuff to give away rather than frow it out. So i placed a want add and replied to some offer adds I managed to get a lot of old roof beams from one person so set about building the 6 main poles and base frame like this....

3) Now I creocoted it for weather protection..

4) I then mixewd up some cement also had in the garage and using some cardbord to make a sort of ruff mold around each main pole filled with cement to make it nice and sturdy to stop it from moving...

5) I them got a fe old wooden pallets from up a local building estate who said i can help my self when i want and used some of the wooden slats to cut and build a frame around the top of the poles and also creocoted them. Also with some 4x4 i also got from the same place as the pallets I made a frame for a step and coated that too

6) from free cycle i got given some 2x4 beams but wasnt sure how i could use these luckily i managed to find some one with a buzz saw who came round and kindly helped me cut them down dead center into 2x2 then i could use these to build a roof frame as follows i cut out a hexigon apex for the top center too.

7) I creocoted the frame and using some of the left over pond liner i had i coverd the roof frame and stapled it down to help with keeping it dry under there ;-) 8) I wasnt happy with looking up at the center looked messy so I cut a large circle out and screwed it in place inside in the top center this also helped to hold all the beams in place and just looks tidy.

9) My luck was in some one on free cycle got in touch and said they had a yard full of fence slats beams and planks as they have a friend who works in the timber line and drops all there scraps and old fencing off to them as they chop it up for there wood burning heater so could have as much as i liked yay so I got a load of old fence slats and a lot of planks.
I used the roofing slats to cover the sides of the roof...

10) now for some sides using the planks for the sides and some battoning i made buy using a small buzz saw i made 3 soild sides for the 3 back sections...

11) Now buzz saw and made a heck of a lot more battoning i made 3 trellis to fit in the back 3 sections this is why i had to buy them 3 packs of nails i mentioned at the beggining ;-)

12) now the front to sides i wanted to have gaps between so I used some more planks and batton as i did with the back 3 sides but put them together with a space between the planks. Also on top of the sides I cut a hand rail to fit over the sides too.

13) Now i ran out of creocote so had to buy another tub so I could creocote all the sides the trellis and the roof..

Thats as far as i have got so far but now that it is all creocoted ive finaly planted out my colocasia either side of it now. It still needs a floor and some reed screening to cover the roof for that straw tiki hut effect but for a cost of £13 so far, Im very happy with it and although i cant aford much its slowly all comming together. I can see me having to payout for a dec floor at some pint in the future and the screening but its somthing that will have to just wait for the mo.
I also plan on getting some clear plastic that can be fixed up on the sides in winter so I can use it as a cold store to house the agave etc in over winter and keeping them dry. Ive also got to make some wooden seating and mabe a tiny table but will see and just a case of decor such as lanterns, hanging plants etc. I will update as and when more is done or added.

Hope you all enjoyed looking though my tiki hut project.

happy gardening

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Re: My tiki hut on the cheap....

Post by fern Rob »

It adds a graet feature to the garden.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I think that's absolutely brilliant Steve. It looks great - I would never have thought you could have done it for £13. It just shows what you can do with a bit of vision and hard work. I look on Freecycle regularly, it's surprising what you can pick up at times icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

nice one mate, looking good, great work icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

alot of effort went into that and it shows very nice work..wish we had somthing like that free cycle thing here in the states.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

That's a wonder for £13, Stevie. Have to put a name plaque on the top. Call it the 'Stevie Wonder' icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

that is brilliant carpentry there bud icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumright

but just a slight niggle,
what is the exact point when a gazebo becomes a tikki hut :lol:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Mr List wrote:that is brilliant carpentry there bud icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumright

when the "tiki" roofing goes on of course
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Superb! Really impressive work and amazing that you've done it all for so little money.

I look forward to the next installment, can't wait to see it finished.

;)
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Mr List wrote:that is brilliant carpentry there bud icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumright

Definatly when the reed type screening goes over the roof. :lol: I know i wont have that same effect as a real tiki hut but hopfully it will resemble somthing like it... but yes it is just a glorified wooden gazebo :lol: but i think in the name of all things growing tropical and calling it a Tiki hut sounds much grander lol :roll: :lol:

it is definatly the bigest thing ive made from wood from scratch and without any plans just a few pictures some one from here sent me of there build so i looked at the pics and just took it from there. I have a few bits of wood left and will start to think about how im going to build the box seating for inside next even if I cant aford to get the dec for the floor. But as that saying goes, ..... all in good time. icon_thumleft

Regards
Steve icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

Well I think thats pretty damn good and for 13 quid I'm really impressed!
Thats given me an idea for a double archway and gate leading to the greenhouse. A covering of cordyline leaves as well......that'll have to go on page 65 of my todo list :roll:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

steve, that's a great effort m8!, a few jungle muic c.d 's & your up & running :lol: . karl.
kata

Post by kata »

Excellent structure Steve!

I also love the curved wall, far nicer than fencing..

:mrgreen:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thats brilliant Steve, I love it icon_thumright when hub was unemployed a while back we used a lot of pallets to build stuff, compost bins etc, it made us feel good that we could still have a decent garden on next to nowt :mrgreen:

Flounder, what a good idea for an archway, build it like Stevieboys but without the floor, it would look great...
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thats brilliant Steve, I love it icon_thumright when hub was unemployed a while back we used a lot of pallets to build stuff, compost bins etc, it made us feel good that we could still have a decent garden on next to nowt :mrgreen:

Flounder, what a good idea for an archway, build it like Stevieboys but without the floor, it would look great...