Indoor Exotic

Simba

Indoor Exotic

Post by Simba »

Have space for a small palm or other exotic, but not much idea what to have...any suggestions...?
kata

Re: Indoor Exotic

Post by kata »

European Fan Palm

European Fan Palm is one of the easiest indoor palm trees to grow. Native to the Mediterranean region, it adapts well to the warm, dry conditions of most homes.

It's slow-growing and small, reaching only 4 ft indoors. Give it a bit of elbow room, though. Its beautiful, fan-shaped fronds can reach up to 2 ft across.

This is the only palm native to Europe and one of the few that can take direct sunlight. If you have a partially sunny spot for it, this is a spectacular accent tree.

Maybe Simba.

icon_sunny
Steph

Post by Steph »

Any of those you couldn't grow outside.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Blechnum gibbum, miniture tree fern.
20130530_195136 (600x800).jpg
20130530_195144 (600x800).jpg
Or Strelitzia
Dim

Post by Dim »

kata wrote:European Fan Palm

European Fan Palm is one of the easiest indoor palm trees to grow. Native to the Mediterranean region, it adapts well to the warm, dry conditions of most homes.

It's slow-growing and small, reaching only 4 ft indoors. Give it a bit of elbow room, though. Its beautiful, fan-shaped fronds can reach up to 2 ft across.

This is the only palm native to Europe and one of the few that can take direct sunlight. If you have a partially sunny spot for it, this is a spectacular accent tree.

Maybe Simba.

icon_sunny
and will draw blood on your children or your visitor's children .... (assuming that it's the same as Chamaerops humilis?)

but if thats not a concern, then it should be fine ....

I would rather opt for something more 'gracefull' but equally (if not more) hardy .... such as a Trachycarpus wagnerianus in a decent sized pot....
Last edited by Dim on Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

phoenix roebelenii would be an easy reliable choice.Cryosophila warscewiczii if your feeling adventurous(impressive silver underleaves,tolerates low light levels and fairly resistant to spider mite).I have one seedling spare from my palm collection,you can have for mates rates if you are interested. icon_moneyeyes
kata

Post by kata »

I thought Steph, Simba wanted an 'Indoor Exotic' (subject ) , meaning lounge.

I like what Pdid suggested Blechnum gibbum

icon_sunny
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Small palm indoor, Chamaedora Metalica, one of the few indoor plants I have.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Kata is there a difference?

My plants tend to do a tour of duty in the bay window and then get respite in the conservatory or garden, nothing lives forever inside.

Worked out how the grand Victorian houses always had a nice healthy clump of Aspidistra in the hall... they dug them up from outside.

House plants are a retail myth.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Steph,

Some nice plastic indoor plants these days.... :mrgreen:

I was at a different bus top some months ago and saw this Yucca looked fantastic the owner was in the garden and asked could I photograph it and she said 'of course but its not real..wow it looked real.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

kata wrote:European Fan Palm
Noooooooo :lol:

If you're going to grow a palm indoors it's got to be a non-hardy one really hasn't it? :D

Some windowsill palm seedlings I'm growing based on reports of being good houseplants, and which are doing OK;

Chambeyronia macrocarpa
Chamaedoreas
Hyophorbe lagenicaulis
Ptychosperma nicolai
flounder

Post by flounder »

Dipladenia/mandevilla if in a sunny location
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Beaucarnea recurvata.
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Try this Venus fly trap plant. icon_bigsmurf . I like to have one. :alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymnLpQNyI6g
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

flounder wrote:Dipladenia/mandevilla if in a sunny location
I have tried growing these a few times,I can never keep them looking good.I think they spray them with a magic potion at the nursery,which wears off when you get them home.Shame because they are a stunning plant.Has anybody had success with them?