Akamba!

daftbanana

Akamba!

Post by daftbanana »

I know this has been discussed in the distant past, but I made my first visit to Akamba on the way back from a long weekend in Ross on Wye and what a great place! Feels like your stepping into Africa (the right weather helped!). I hadn't got much left to spend but picked up a young Cyathea Cooperi that has fronds about 3 feet high and is throwing out new ones very quickly now I've fed it some Miracle Gro. I'll be overwintering it indoors but apparantly they are one of the faster growing tree ferns (mine has no real trunk yet). Anybody got one? do they form a slender trunk fairly quickly?
Attachments
IMG321.jpg
IMG326.jpg
fern Rob

Re: Akamba!

Post by fern Rob »

They do form a slender trunk and grow quickly, but that is quickly for tree ferns not like most general garden plants.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They grow relatively quickly for a tree fern but its still slow. I have three youngsters. I'm expecting a small trunk/stump if they make it to 5...but they have struggled this winter/spring and I'm not sure they will bounce back.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

daftbanana wrote:I know this has been discussed in the distant past, but I made my first visit to Akamba on the way back from a long weekend in Ross on Wye and what a great place! Feels like your stepping into Africa (the right weather helped!). I hadn't got much left to spend but picked up a young Cyathea Cooperi that has fronds about 3 feet high and is throwing out new ones very quickly now I've fed it some Miracle Gro. I'll be overwintering it indoors but apparantly they are one of the faster growing tree ferns (mine has no real trunk yet). Anybody got one? do they form a slender trunk fairly quickly?
Yes I know what you mean any time spent in Ross seems a very long time. :roll: Only joking :lol: I often stop at Akamba just for something to eat if i'm passing, especially pleasant in sunny warm weather. Hope the weather is good next Sunday for the meet. Is any one going?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I'm going, and as it stands, it looks very good on the day with sunshine and temperatures of around 21-22C (perhaps a tadge higher).. breaking down to cool, and unsettled weather thereafter so with any luck the meet just coincides with the good weather!