Chammy Cerifera, Butia Capitata and Brahea Armata

DiCasS

Chammy Cerifera, Butia Capitata and Brahea Armata

Post by DiCasS »

I need some advice please.

These three palms have only been planted out for a year but looks like I'm going to have to dig them up and pot them for a short while before planting in the ground again. I'm not sure how these will cope as I've never dug and potted one up before. I'm thinking the Chammy and Butia will be okay - or not??? but not sure on the Brahea as they don't like root disturbance. I'm wondering what my chances are with all three.

Cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Chammy Cerifera, Butia Capitata and Brahea Armata

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I transplanted my Butia from a large pot and really did have to disturb the roots. It doesn't seem to have suffered in the least and is still opening fronds.

Brahea don't like to be disturbed and I've found even seedlings go very quiet when repotted so I would suggest you take as much root as you can, use Palmbooster in the pot and water really well until you replant it as they are very thirsty palms.

Cerifera shouldn't give you any real trouble at all though.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

they have not been in that long Di so wouldnt have thought you would have to go too far to find the whole roots on the brahea. the other two you shouldnt knacker too much by digging the pot shape back up,will most likely pull new roots up with them if your soil isnt too compacted icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks guys icon_thumright Yes, my main concern was the Brahea and thought if this hadn't got a very good chance of surviving after digging up, then thought maybe best left, but could have more of a chance than I thought if I'm careful icon_cheers, I'll try it. The other two, wasn't so concerned about, but glad to get the confirmation.

Fortunately, I did make sure the soil was good before planting my palms , so with a bit of help, wont be too hard to dig up, hopefully. When I planted my Cerifera, I struggled, I was on my own, prepared the hole, plonked the plant in, I'd dug it too deep :roll: measured it as well before dropping it in :lol: , so was too heavy for me to lift out, stood there scratching my head wondering what to do next, then remembered a friend telling me how to adjust the height if too deeply planted - tilt and push the soil under until reaching the correct height. I'm so glad I was paying attention that day :lol:

Cheers guys

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.