Clematis Armandii and Passiflora climbers - rapid decline :(

Panama Pete

Re: Clematis Armandii and Passiflora climbers - rapid declin

Post by Panama Pete »

Excessive watering possibly
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

The passiflora should recover as it does not look too bad and you have potted it into a better mix quite quickly. They are very easy to take cuttings from as well so if you do get it going again take a few cuttings and give them a little bottom heat they root quite fast and then you will have a couple of spares. icon_thumleft
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

My Passiflora edulis seems to be one of the most sensitive plants I've got in terms of not hardening off properly.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I bought a opassion flower last year.....love it. Anyway I love oit that much I bought a new one in the sales at winter and its in the greenhouse.

Last years has not come back.....so what do I do with the one in the garage.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Leave a bit longer Martin, mine is just coming back into growth, it had no protection.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Update and thanks Dee for the suggestion as didnt cross my mind, but took it back and it they gave me a credit note for the "failed" Passion flower icon_thumleft

Replaced it with a cheaper £3.99 passiflora

I found the cause of the browing Armandii too! loads of fox poo scattered around the planting hole, and the woody stem snapped at the bottom :cry:

I had to cut all the growth off, dug it up again, soaked in a bucket of water, planted even deeper, and covered in gravel to keep cool, not sure if i'll see any growth this year?

All thats left of it before covering up...

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I'm paranoid about planted this one now, so i've left it in its small pot and just situated it in the chosen location, keeping a close eye on it for decline in health :oops: I think after a week if its still looking good i'll plant it?

Deedee

Post by Deedee »

A fox! omg i thought i had problems with cats poo :shock: How the heck do you deter a fox.. I had a passiflora in a big black bucket sunk into a border in front of trellis and it flowered and fruited every year untill 2 years ago when a bad winter brought down my fence and the trellis so i redesigned the area, I decided to "lift" the pot out of the border but it was stuck solid, the roots had burst through the pot, what a job that was to get out :mrgreen: Hay, good result with taking the plant back icon_thumleft
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Cordy I had a problem with cats snapping stems of newly planted climbers in one of the gardens I work in and had to resort to putting a te-pee of small canes around them to stop the damage until they were well established and by then the canes were nearly invisible covered by the foliage.