How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

Kerinsian

Re: How are your Musa Basjoo's doing?

Post by Kerinsian »

I'm chuffed to bits with my basjoo. I bought it from ebay for a fiver in a truly enormous pot and planted it out this May. It has looked wonderful all year, and grown 9 pups :)
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

leunerj wrote:No never seen it flower but will check during the rest of this year to see if it does :D
Well I was in the neighbourhood today and snapped a picture of this specimen. Not looking its best due to the recent high winds, but it hasn't been frosted yet and is even flowering and has some tiny bananas on it. If we don't get any more cold temps maybe the flowering will continue in the spring?
Attachments
Musa basjoo Banana in Shepherd's Bush London
Musa basjoo Banana in Shepherd's Bush London
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

They look great.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

And if it stays mild for the rest of the winter they will look much greater next summer!

Alexander
eddie

Post by eddie »

Alexander wrote:And if it stays mild for the rest of the winter they will look much greater next summer!

Alexander
Sure hope it stays mild! My Basjoo looks the same as in the pic from leunerj. Trashed by the wind but still green
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My small basjoos are still covered in hay and fleece.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Got two covered so they will be fine, my other that isn't protected is fine nice healthy green stem, but leaves wrecked! my indoors ones are great did have a little issue with some green fly when they first came in but no probs after i gave them a wash down.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Once of my Nana's has blown over - chicken wire, straw, and all. Haven;t checked the label, but I think it is the Basjoo (the rest are Sikki's).

Didn't think about the need to use a strong stake to protect the "sail" that I can constructed out of straw!!

I'll take a photo ...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My clump in the front has been so blasted by the 'Daily Gale' that the ribbons have been dessicated, but is still flowering well icon_thumright
Attachments
2013-12-28 11-59-32 FG Musa basjoo clump.jpg
2013-12-28 13-09-28 Winter Musa basjoo flowers.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

That looks good two flowers .Your T rex looks like Its about to flower too .
eddie

Post by eddie »

Your flowers look dark red/purple Dave. Mine's yellow. Have you got any idea why? Maybe there are different Basjoo cultivars?
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Recently purchased a small basjoo in a 9cm pot from Amazon, using a christmas gift card. Hopefully it will be ok on my bedroom windowsill until late spring. It seems to be good enough for aloes and citrus so will hopefully be fine. Any advice on watering since it will be indoors until the growing season? :D
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

eddie wrote:Your flowers look dark red/purple Dave. Mine's yellow. Have you got any idea why? Maybe there are different Basjoo cultivars?
Maybe the due to the cooler temperature.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They start out larger and yellow but seem to get smaller and more purple as the year goes on.

Here is a pic of the flowers back in August
2013-08-11 14-02-24 Musa basjoo flowers.jpg
and this is a pic from a different Musa basjoo clump in the back garden when it flowered in 2007 Pic from Nov 2007
Attachments
121107 Musa basjoo flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dave in Warrington »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Recently purchased a small basjoo in a 9cm pot from Amazon, using a christmas gift card. Hopefully it will be ok on my bedroom windowsill until late spring. It seems to be good enough for aloes and citrus so will hopefully be fine. Any advice on watering since it will be indoors until the growing season? :D
Happy to be contradicted, but I would try to keep the temperature around 10C (50F) and just keep the compost damp to touch. At least you can keep it 'ticking over' until spring, then I'd harden it off like other bedding plants

Good Luck

As for my basjoo, some uncovered and loving the weather, some wrapped and some in a cold green house.
You could say that I haven't got all my eggs (basjoo) :) in one basket