Desperate for real rain

Alexander

Re: Desperate for real rain

Post by Alexander »

Archangelsk in Northern Russia up to 31 degrees! And here subarctic weather...

Alexander
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

stephenprudence wrote:It's fine here.. there will never be a problem here as we have a high water table..
I did read that Wirral will be one of the first areas under water if sea levels rise! You might want to invest in aquatic plants :mrgreen:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Bring it on! I means here will be an island, and milder winters :lol:

We're 100m above sea level here the highest point on the peninsula..! Sea level rise would be excellent for me in a selfish world. :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Alexander wrote:Archangelsk in Northern Russia up to 31 degrees! And here subarctic weather...

Alexander
Yes the mid lattitudes are now the Arctic :wink:
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

RAAAAAIN!!!!!!!!!! it thunder stormed all last night with a light drizzle and stopped around 6 am...it just started up again and I was so pleased...then I looked out the window and the winds must have been 40 MPH...I almost shed a tear..waiting till it calms down to go survey the damage...
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Rained today for about 30 seconds so still have to keep watering the garden, but rain water is better for the Dicksonia antarctica.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:RAAAAAIN!!!!!!!!!! it thunder stormed all last night with a light drizzle and stopped around 6 am...it just started up again and I was so pleased...then I looked out the window and the winds must have been 40 MPH...I almost shed a tear..waiting till it calms down to go survey the damage...
I'm glad someone is getting some rain, but shame about the wind. Big leaves + rain = Pain :(

Few spits but no measurable rain since I started the topic :roll: Lawn now has brown patches, but this is more like normal in summer, just been dry all year on top.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

I went and did a damage assessment once it ied down...found my swing about 50 yard away down a hill. I wouldnt say anything was killed but like a hurricane had come through. with all the rain and soft ground everything was bent over backwards. I didn't know a banana could bend that far honestly..I tried to get everything standing back up but the wet ground made it difficult. I staked some of the larger stuff and am hoping for no more wind..just a shame I didn't have any fertilizer to put down before the rain hit. will see if this rain set them back or shoots them forward.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

South Wales is never short on rain for long. But we have had 7 day patches with no rain which can harm plants that are yet to establish.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

when it started raining it never stopped..6am today it finally dried up..my yard is flooded and everyting is bent over from the rain a wind...more forcasted for the weekend..I only asked for a little bit and look what I got :lol: we will see how the plants respond
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If I look at the rainfall profile, it is not far from the average, with 6 days with rainfall this month, but the problem is the volumes, with the highest level 3.0mm (0.118in) and 4 days with less than 1mm. Last real rain was 8.4mm (0.33in) on 28th May.

Lawn was last cut 3 weeks ago, but only Daisys and grass flower stalks have grown.
Attachments
2013-06-27 14-33-16 Lawn.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Barry »

It's getting to be the same here in East Cambs as well,keep getting forecasts for rain but all that seems to happen is a few sparrows going over :roll:
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

My garden in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire has remained damp below the surface. It's raining here now and I see the forecast for Kent is rain later and most of tomorrow. Hope it does the trick for you Dave.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

From what I have seen of your lawn Dave....it could easliy be turned around as alot of the problems with the browness is down to lack of nutriants cased from the dead grass, thatch, moss and weeds.......all these make the grass weak. If you give yor lawn the same TLC as you do the plants it would look mint.......where for me I wish I could get my plants to look as good as my lawn :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
billdango

Post by billdango »

It started raining here in Southampton about an hour ago just as I was pruning some big palm trees in my back garden.

That job will have to wait till Saturday now as rain is forcasted till then.

But at least it was warm and sunny till mid afternoon and there was very little wind.

billdango icon_sunny