Desperate for real rain

stephenprudence

Re: Desperate for real rain

Post by stephenprudence »

10mm of rain today with no relent all day, but very very cold, feels more like a rainy winters day.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

It's hammered down all afternoon and still heavy now.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:From what I have seen of your lawn Dave....it could easliy be turned around as alot of the problems with the browness is down to lack of nutriants cased from the dead grass, thatch, moss and weeds.......all these make the grass weak. If you give yor lawn the same TLC as you do the plants it would look mint.......where for me I wish I could get my plants to look as good as my lawn :lol:
Coddy, I don't have moss as it doesn't stay wet, and the weeds are the only bits that stay green when we have dry spells, so if I got rid of those, I may as well gravel the whole thing. I certainly wouldn't contemplate watering it. or I would double, or treble my water bill.
DAVIDEVANS wrote:My garden in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire has remained damp below the surface. It's raining here now and I see the forecast for Kent is rain later and most of tomorrow. Hope it does the trick for you Dave.
I t has been raining here for the last 1.5 hours, but still has not made the ground wet, it's drying up at the same rate as it's falling. I won't water anything tonight just in case we get some decent rain, but not convinced yet.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

I'm starting to get to the arid, thirsty soil stage even with mulch. My water butts are getting depleted and the spit spots for the last hour haven't even rinsed the dust off things :roll:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It has been raining for over 1hour but the garden is still going to need watering.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I washed my car tonight, as it's not been used for over 2 weeks, and gets very dusty, then the rain spots make a right old mess. I came back in at just after 9:30pm and it had been spitting all the time, but the ground is still not wet, and I was out there in t shirt and shorts.

I did water the front as the hose was out there and even Trachycarpus are starting to yellow all but the top 3 or 4 leaves, and Musa basjoo has not grown at all in the last week. Lack of water has the same effect as lack of warmth.... zero growth :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

Dave Brown wrote:I washed my car tonight, as it's not been used for over 2 weeks, and gets very dusty, then the rain spots make a right old mess. I came back in at just after 9:30pm and it had been spitting all the time, but the ground is still not wet, and I was out there in t shirt and shorts.

I did water the front as the hose was out there and even Trachycarpus are starting to yellow all but the top 3 or 4 leaves, and Musa basjoo has not grown at all in the last week. Lack of water has the same effect as lack of warmth.... zero growth :roll:

2 weeks without moving your car :shock: if it were only that easy here..although gas prices are down over here right now it would still be nice not to have to drive for a week.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:I washed my car tonight, as it's not been used for over 2 weeks, and gets very dusty, then the rain spots make a right old mess. I came back in at just after 9:30pm and it had been spitting all the time, but the ground is still not wet, and I was out there in t shirt and shorts.

2 weeks without moving your car :shock: if it were only that easy here..although gas prices are down over here right now it would still be nice not to have to drive for a week.
I work from home, and when not working am gardening. Sometimes don't leave home for 2 weeks.... :ahhh!: I need to get out more..... but I have the internet :D
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Well the grounds now wet! I'll reword that, the grounds now damp! Could do with it going all night
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

flounder wrote:Well the grounds now wet! I'll reword that, the grounds now damp! Could do with it going all night
Spent a fiver worth of water tonight, as I couldn't trust it to the weather. Even cacti need water to grow,
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

Don't you just love this country! Last year I couldn't stop the butts overflowing, this year I'm down to the crud at the bottom already :roll:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

How does this evening's drenching cornish mizzle qualify? Only a total of 0.7mm to midnight
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Raining today again and should provide a sufficient amount of water for the plants.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Raining here since 9:30am icon_cheers although very lightly. Same problem with zero growth, hope this drizzle improves things a bit.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Only had 3 mm here from yesterdays rain & a light shower this morning, not complaining though I'd much rather have to water the garden than have to go out & buy a boat like last June :lol: