My Chamaerops Arborescens has landed

Delboy

My Chamaerops Arborescens has landed

Post by Delboy »

Well after another call to simon at Amulree it was arranged that my palm would be delivered this week.

Well today was the day!. Luckily for me the lorry pulled up just as i was about to pop out the house, the delivery guy jumped out his cab and shouted 'hey mate, you aint getting this in ya garden lol' :shock: Not what i want to hear :lol:

To get to the garden there is a passage between us and a neighbour, and its not the widest of spaces.

Now im thinking 'oh sh*t' and go to take a peek in the back. He wasnt kidding, the pot looks to be about 200 ltrs....blutty huge.....and heavy!!

Anyway i get it dropped off on the drive and the delivery guy goes off (chuckling to himself) :evil: :lol:

Wife then makes an appearance and finds it highly amusing too :evil:

Not one to be beaten there was no way it wasnt going down that passage. Keep in mind im only 5' 5" and this thing was bigger than me.

Anyway, there was only one winner...........................ME icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers

Almost killed me it did, and truth be told i have no where for it but who cares, just a blip.

It should of had a 80cm trunk, which to me is massive for a chammie, but i could tell straight away this looked bigger.
In fact its 107 cm's of pure trunk heaven......woohoo

Here are some pics. It will live in this pot as the wife still fancies a new house and no way am i digging this size hole twice.
cham1.JPG
cham2.JPG
cham3.JPG
cham4.JPG
Im thrilled with it, the wait was painful but worth it and i would like to thank Simon for sourcing this for me after he was let down by the previous supplier. I actually feel like ive robbed him, as this was imho cheap as chips.
cordyman

Re: My Chamaerops Arborescens has landed

Post by cordyman »

How much? What a telegraph pole that is! LOL cracking!

Sounds like me, buy something with no where to put it, then spend weeks pottering about deliberating on tbe spot.
Last edited by cordyman on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A great plant.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

cordyman wrote:How much? What a telegraph pole that is! LOL cracking!

Sounds like me, buy something with no where to out it, then spend weeks pottering about deliberating on tbe spot.
**cough** £100 **cough**

My limit for a plant, altho the wife thinks it was one that wasn't delivered in January with my Trachycarpus lol.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Nice plant and great price!
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Nice! Would look good planted on the corner where it is, if you weren't going to move...
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Absolute beauty and a steal at a ton, nice buy Del!

Good work getting it into the garden too ;)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Worth the hassle and wait......see, Simon will work with ya !
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

it's a cracker!! how much did they charge you for delivery?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nice one delboy!!, you really need to man up though :lol: , I had one off him last year with 5 trunk's & dragged it to it's planting hole on my own although it took 3 of us to lift into hole!, waiting is frustrating & i'm the worlds worse but simon is a decent chap, just a little overworked at times .karl.
Huddy

Post by Huddy »

Good for you delboy, wish i could say the same :(

Mine arrived broken potted roots hanging out, 75cm trunk and whats even more annoying it has chopped of pups at the base.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Delboy wrote:
cordyman wrote:How much? What a telegraph pole that is! LOL cracking!

Sounds like me, buy something with no where to out it, then spend weeks pottering about deliberating on tbe spot.
**cough** £100 **cough**

My limit for a plant, altho the wife thinks it was one that wasn't delivered in January with my Trachycarpus lol.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF! bargain icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut how much was delivery, that pot is a monster!

You could always pot plunge it :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Huddy wrote:Good for you delboy, wish i could say the same :(

Mine arrived broken potted roots hanging out, 75cm trunk and whats even more annoying it has chopped of pups at the base.

so not an " Arborescens " then?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Karl, tbh weight wasn't too bad it was the fact the pot was the same width as the passageway so a very tight fit had to force it thru, another inch wider and it wouldnt of fitted.

Postage was £18, so not bad at all for a pallet delivery. Should of had a pink china too but it wasn't delivered.

@Huddy, there are roots over the top of my pot I will add some compost or gravel to cover them. The roots can be seen in the drainage holes so it's a descent rootball. Tbh 75cm trunk is still good for the money, shouldn't have suckers tho.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Wilza wrote:Nice! Would look good planted on the corner where it is, if you weren't going to move...
Yes i think thats where its going, just a little further from the washing line and i will need to move the kids swing a bit.
I was worried about the Chammie spikes/kids combo, but its so big in that pot the problem is solved icon_cheers

It will stay potted but i may make a circle around it using tall log roll or something, then plant some plants around the edge hanging down the pot, probably aubretia.