Bamboo VS Acers, leaf drop + decking maintenance

cordyman

Bamboo VS Acers, leaf drop + decking maintenance

Post by cordyman »

If only the neighbours could see into my garden, tonight I hoovered the decking :shock: :lol: To the untrained eye, this is the sign of a madman :alien:

Going to give it the yearly stain tomorrow, and its full of blutty bamboo leaves, everywhere, and most irritatingly wedged between the decks. The hoover got most of them out, but i'm sick of the constant brushing and pressure washing.

I have some Acers in pots I could put on there instead, they'd be more sheltered from the wind than current positions and would contrast nicely against the white wall. How does Acer leafdrop VS bamboo compare throughout the year, and when they finally drop all leaves in winter? Overall better deck plant for tidyness?
Last edited by cordyman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
bordersboy

Re: Bamboo VS Acers, leaf drop, I hoovered the decking!

Post by bordersboy »

Have you ever been sectioned Cordy icon_joker ?
Mr List

Re: Bamboo VS Acers, leaf drop

Post by Mr List »

isn't there a thing called a garden vac/blower?
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

If you "shake n vac" it first Cordy mate it puts the freshness back! The acer on my brothers deck only drops its leaves once all in one go in the autumn and they are easy to get up and dont make too much of a mess but that is only one small tree in a pot standing about 5ft tall.
cordyman

Re: Bamboo VS Acers, leaf drop, I hoovered the decking!

Post by cordyman »

bordersboy wrote:Have you ever been sectioned Cordy icon_joker ?

I blame HTUK, its corrupted me :lol:
Mr List wrote:isn't there a thing called a garden vac/blower?
Thats probably what I need if I stick with the bamboo on there icon_thumleft

JBALLY wrote:If you "shake n vac" it first Cordy mate it puts the freshness back! The acer on my brothers deck only drops its leaves once all in one go in the autumn and they are easy to get up and dont make too much of a mess but that is only one small tree in a pot standing about 5ft tall.
Mine are only small, 3-4ft, so may give them a try
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I can see who wear's the trouser's in your house :lol: . karl.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

karl66 wrote:I can see who wear's the trouser's in your house :lol: . karl.

I've told the missus Karl (of HTUK fame) says you need to hoover the decking on a weekly basis :lol: She is of the frame of mind the garden maintenance is of my domain and the stable maintenance hers :shock:

Just waiting for Wickes to open need to pick up a decking pad on a pole, i'm not doing it with a brush on hands and knees again :lol: I'm so tempted to varnish the stain afterwards but reading so many bad opinions on this.
kata

Post by kata »

F.F sake Cordy now I know you have lost it,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, yes do the Acers. now be a good chap and take your meds.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_sunny
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Too early for an ice cold one?

Adam D

Re: Bamboo VS Acers, leaf drop + decking maintenance

Post by Adam D »

Put the Acers on the decking - as noted above they only drop their leaves once a year and don't fall down into the cracks like bamboo leaves tend to do.

I am of the opinion that bamboo should really be in the ground and the leaves that fall left on the ground as a mulch.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Your right Adam, I just need some more ground lol.

Trying ronseal again this year, cuprinol ultimate seemed to attract paw prints and shoe prints. Anyone else have a favorite.?

The pads a winner coated in under an hour, just got to dry and touch up a few bits now
Last edited by cordyman on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Good job mate!

Now you can finish off the rest of that beer :)

I use Ronseal decking oil not the stain. Natural oak is my colour, but even with just one coat it looks a lot darker than oak.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Looking good m8!, never to early for a jar :) , I've just planted a boo by one of my linearis & realised this morning where the leaf's are droppin :x . karl.
jezza

Post by jezza »

As a human being i use a soft broom then once a pile has formed i then use a dustpan and brush :lol:

I avoid deck stain. Deck oil instead icon_thumright
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

That's the decking strainer I use but a natural colour. Also I am sad as I use my Hoover all the time on my decking a. Lol