brugmansia or just another weed?

cordyman

brugmansia or just another weed?

Post by cordyman »

Actually labelled brugmansia, but I already know the white type is in fact a devils trumpet, how about this purple one, worth a buy? or just another weed?

otorongo

Re: brugmansia or just another weed?

Post by otorongo »

These are Daturas, not Brugs.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Well, for under 2 quid each worth buying and what do you mean another weed? icon_scratch
You seriously need to get a book to learn what you're pulling up in your garden! :wink:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Steph was saying the white flowered devils trumpet I bought last time was pretty much a weed, so seen these with the purple flowers and thought they might be a proper brug which im after!
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

cordyman wrote:Steph was saying the white flowered devils trumpet I bought last time was pretty much a weed, so seen these with the purple flowers and thought they might be a proper brug which im after!
If you like them, buy them, I'm pretty happy with Daturas, to me they look fantastic and smell great at night too, so it's all a matter of opinion.
Attachments
Datura.JPG
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

No, they're both Daturas, which you can easily tell from the erect flowers.

Brugs have pendant flowers, and they're trees, whereas Daturas are shrubs.

If you're after a Brug, you can get one off ebay for 10-12 quid on "Buy it now", or 5 if you're willing to play a few auctions. The cuttings root relatively easily, so some of us may have spare ones.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

cordyman wrote:how about this purple one, worth a buy?
Easy enough to grow from seed (e.g. next year). I've never managed to lift them and keep them going over winter under cover ... so perhaps best to treat as annuals - on that basis just a question of whether you are happy with the price for an annual.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

A prime example of wrong labelling. The picture of the plant on the label is a brug! It would probably cost £10-15 to buy a brugmansia that will flower this summer.often some large ones get reduced in the autumn so worth having a look if you know somewhere that sells them. I bought cuttings off ebay in November so that they grew to a good size for this summer.
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Agree with otorongo, both are datura's. Datura's are usually treath like annual here, but it self seeding as well. I know some place where they came up every year when the seeds are falling off after flowering. Sometimes you can see them here next to the roads as well, proberly by birds. However those are always the white one, not the purple one.
juneil5

Post by juneil5 »

cordyman wrote:Actually labelled brugmansia, but I already know the white type is in fact a devils trumpet, how about this purple one, worth a buy? or just another weed?

[ Image ]

[ Image ]
Nah, not woth bothering with, stick to the Brugs much more erwarding!
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

I know this might well be just me but does anyone else when they think of these plants make one hand into a cup and say Brugmansia with the hand pointing down and Dature with it pointing up whilst simultaniously thinking "Harry Hill"
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks guys, I gave it a miss, want a proper brug with the downwards flowers.

This colouration ideally icon_thumleft

http://www.urbaneden.com/uploaded_image ... 799149.JPG

otorongo wrote:These are Daturas, not Brugs.

I like the way they even brand the label "BURG" from the foreign nursery, further adds to the confusion :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kristen wrote:
cordyman wrote:how about this purple one, worth a buy?
Easy enough to grow from seed (e.g. next year). I've never managed to lift them and keep them going over winter under cover ... so perhaps best to treat as annuals - on that basis just a question of whether you are happy with the price for an annual.

I think i'll go the seed route if I can't find a specimen to overwinter