Tesco Eddoes outperforming Calidora's? Colcasia V Alocasia

cordyman

Tesco Eddoes outperforming Calidora's? Colcasia V Alocasia

Post by cordyman »

First year trying them :cry: :oops:

My Tesco Eddoes are easily outperforming my Calidoras which I thought would be monsters by now :lol:

Tesco Eddoe VS Calidora 1

Calidora 2

Calidora 3

More Tesco Eddoes

Whats going on? Have I planted the Calidoras out with too soon, with such small leaves which makes it harder for them to get going? Am I expecting too much out of them in the first year? Does the Tesco Eddoes tennis ball size corm give it the advantage?

I'm happy with the Eddoe's, look lovely, the calidora's though OH DEARY ME :lol:
Last edited by cordyman on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr List

Re: Tesco Eddoes outperforming Calidora's? Help me!

Post by Mr List »

this is a colocasia vs alocasia story imho.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Is alocasia always the slower?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alocasia needs higher soil temps, and even down here are not as fast a Colocasia. A motorin' Colocasia will grow 3 or 4 leaves a month. Alocasia about one, or one and a half, but the Calidora, in time, will have bigger leaves. If the soil temp is too low they stall. Ideal soil temp is above 25C.

My suggestion is to leave potted, in black pots, with sun in the morning to warm the pot. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote: Whats going on? Have I planted the Calidoras out with too soon, with such small leaves which makes it harder for them to get going? Am I expecting too much out of them in the first year? Does the Tesco Eddoes tennis ball size corm give it the advantage?

I'm happy with the Eddoe's, look lovely, the calidora's though OH DEARY ME :lol:
Planting out is a bit iffy the further north you go, but the plant needs to be established wherever you are, and yours is tiny.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by DaveP »

Dave Brown wrote: Planting out is a bit iffy the further north you go, but the plant needs to be established wherever you are, and yours is tiny.
Absolutely. Mine is only a young 'un, bought as a plug last autumn. It's at least twice the size of the one in the pic and is still being cosseted. It will not got out until it is twice as big again and will remain as a 'pot plant'.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:Alocasia needs higher soil temps, and even down here are not as fast a Colocasia. A motorin' Colocasia will grow 3 or 4 leaves a month. Alocasia about one, or one and a half, but the Calidora, in time, will have bigger leaves. If the soil temp is too low they stall. Ideal soil temp is above 25C.

My suggestion is to leave potted, in black pots, with sun in the morning to warm the pot. :wink:

I guess they've stalled, sitting below my bamboo its quite cool shaded soil i'd guess.

Right i'll move them all back into black pots this afternoon, 3 litre about right? I can put them on the decking which gets morning sun, would they benefit from afternoon sun or too much for them?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

DaveP wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: Planting out is a bit iffy the further north you go, but the plant needs to be established wherever you are, and yours is tiny.
Absolutely. Mine is only a young 'un, bought as a plug last autumn. It's at least twice the size of the one in the pic and is still being cosseted. It will not got out until it is twice as big again and will remain as a 'pot plant'.

Think i'll keep it a pot plant right through till next year then once potted back up icon_thumleft
cordyman

Re: Tesco Eddoes outperforming Calidora's? Colcasia V Alocas

Post by cordyman »

cordyman wrote:

Calidora 3

[ Image ]

They say mother knows best, well went to the parents today and the Calidora I gave her, which she instinctively put in a pot, completely dwarves mine! No more leaves as such, just far bigger leaves, and a thicker stem too. In a real sun trap of a corner, with the pot on a bed of slate which warms up a treat.

Mine are in black pots now but think they will take a while to catch up