Lillies

kata

Lillies

Post by kata »

Its not often I look for Lillies,

But after Alexanders post and no Image to see in that post I went looking for his Lily tree and found some beautiful Images at Nobuflickr.

http://flickeflu.com/set/72157611929280018

Nice to see the Turkish Lillies which for me did'nt do too well. I love the pink one (image 5)..awesome!!

icon_cheers
Alexander

Re: Lillies

Post by Alexander »

There are many beautifull lilies. Especially the botanical ones. And even Lilium martagon is nice, especially in the subalpine meadows in the Alps. But L. auratum is certainly the most spectaculair one as far as I know. Unefortunately it has finished flowering now. Its always a couple of days they flower and then You have to waite another 365 days.

Alexander
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Kata, you should also take a look at Daylilies http://www.plantpost.co.uk/pollie-maasz ... lilies.php

There is a massive range of colours and flowering periods and they do not have the problem of lily beetle and as they are not a true lily the pollen is safe for cats. Pollie Maasz hold a large collection of spider lilies.

I've never had much luck with lilies but have found Daylilies easier to grow.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I love lilies and my favourite is 'Black Beauty', but as Allan said day lilies are brilliant. They do very well here in my extra dry conditions. No good for cutting of course but the fact that the flowers only last 1 or 2 days on the plant doesn't mean a lack of flowers.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Jo A P wrote:I love lilies and my favourite is 'Black Beauty', but as Allan said day lilies are brilliant. They do very well here in my extra dry conditions. No good for cutting of course but the fact that the flowers only last 1 or 2 days on the plant doesn't mean a lack of flowers.
Yeah, I should have mentioned they are drought tolerant.

Although the flowers tend to last about a day they do produce many flowers and there are re-bloomers that flower again.
kata

Post by kata »

I had an Hibiscus once that only flowered for a day,

I saw it one day then when I got up its had hit the kitchen sink...I tended that Hibi like my child all winter.tropical Hibiscus from Tenerife.

I am pretty good with Lillies, this one is a Turkish Lily.

Thanks both of you for the advice and link which I shall look at.
turkishlilywhite.jpg
icon_cheers icon_cheers
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The good thing about lilies is that most of them are full coldhardy here! Lilium pyrenaicum is one I get to order for next summer. Some start in early summer, some only in August so you can get flowers all summer.

Alexander
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Alexander!!

Do you get the same temps as us?

icon_cheers
Lys

Post by Lys »

I adore lilies, and have several different varieties in the garden: Netty's Pride, Henryi, Martagon, Nepalense and my favourite African Queen. But there's been sooo much lily beetle this year I may dig them up this autumn. Just fed up of having to crush the beetles or pick off the muck/larvae. I even tried spraying them this year. :cry:
kata

Post by kata »

But there's been sooo much lily beetle this year
Everyone has said the same, i know I had at least a dozen, and only have three plants.

Have you tried Pravado spray Lys?

Thanks for the varietys as well.

icon_cheers
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

kata wrote:Thanks Alexander!!

Do you get the same temps as us?

icon_cheers
I am near The Hague in The Netherlands. So arround 22 to 24 CC daily now. And now and then 25 or more. And also we had a very warm July this year!
Here we have good warm weather the last couple of weeks fortunately. But we could do with a good downpour here now as we did have almost no rain the last month or so. Just one night continues rain would be good!

Alexander
Lys

Post by Lys »

Have you tried Pravado spray Lys?
Thanks Kata, I'll try this next year! They have a reprieve from the compost heap. :wink:

NB Friday's Gardeners World had a lovely selection of lilies.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Alexander,

We just had rain for going on three days this week (Lancashire) but thats pretty normal, if its not the cloud blanket its pouring rain.

Lys, most of us use Pravado around the garden but use it in the evening. I burnt a Basjoo leaf with daytime/sunny spraying.

Well if the compost area is under wraps then just fleece it, if not then at end of summer save the corms indoors or the greenhouse.

Read this on storage

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... corms.html

I am because no way do i want to lose my Bishop of Landaff. I just was open mouth this morning at the width of the stem. It started out as a spare four leaf seedling obviously from a corm I must have bought late Spring. I was going to whizz away seedling thinking a weed but decided to put it where old compost gos. It must be five foot or more. :lol:

To think I almost threw it as a weed.
sunday18082013.jpg
Click Pic... icon_cheers
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here we had fortunately some good rain. And pleasant sunny warm weather after it. Maybe some more rain tomorrow and then warmer again.

It seem the farther northwest the cloudier and wetter it gets. Fortunately that pretty far from where I live...

Alexander
kata

Post by kata »

Same as us Alexander,

We had rain this morning and it was very warm this afternoon, cloudy at around six.

icon_cheers