Cyathea Medullaris over view.

fern Rob

Cyathea Medullaris over view.

Post by fern Rob »

I thought I would do a update on my 3ft C Medullarsi I purchased at the start of the year.
It as started to get its roots in to the soil and pushing out fronds.
Hopefully more fronds this year. :D
Attachments
A few months ago
A few months ago
Now
Now
Tom2006

Re: Cyathea Medullaris over view.

Post by Tom2006 »

Its a beauty. Pleased to see its rooting well.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think I'm going to have to keep it walm through winter to let it build up strength.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If you keep it in there with a frost guard heater it should be fine. Mine carried on pushing out a crozier although it was slowly.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Yes but it's not got to many roots and I don't want to put it trough the stress of winter, I think it will have to become a house plant. :lol:
hedychium

Post by hedychium »

Hi There
Can anyone help me
I am looking to source Cyathea Medullaris , I am looking for a reasonabley large specimen , but do not want to pay a forntune for one , and woukld be greatful for any cultivation tips and overwintering tips

Cheers
John
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

John, I think cheap and medularis are words not often found in the same sentence! however if you get lucky let me know :) I have had reasonable success with brownii and think I am now ready to try a medularis!

You could try Sheila Tiffin, she grows all her ferns from spores and has a good rep, down side is that the plants are small (medularis grows very quickly though) and she spends most of the time "Sold Out" as she is locally so popular

http://sheilatiffintreeferns.webs.com
Steph

Post by Steph »

hedychium wrote:Hi There
Can anyone help me
I am looking to source Cyathea Medullaris , I am looking for a reasonabley large specimen , but do not want to pay a forntune for one , and woukld be greatful for any cultivation tips and overwintering tips

Cheers
John
Check out Crews Hill Gardeners Club, EN2 9BQ....
I got a Brownii & Cooperii there last year £69 & £99, large plants to overwinter but I am going to try.
They look magnificent at the moment.
Its a lucky dip as to whats in stock there but they are cheap, and you may find yourself satisfied.

Other than that maybe Simon @ Amulree in the January sale.