brugs growing and growing

Panama Pete

brugs growing and growing

Post by Panama Pete »

my brugs has come on. it was a ten inch cutting in feb. its pot bound now but reaching 6 to 7 ft. a bit chewed up by bugs but has 20 plus buds waiting to open.
Attachments
DSC_0041-2046526783.jpg
Mick C

Re: brugs growing and growing

Post by Mick C »

Thanks Pete, you just reminded me to go out and hunt down the snails that have been feasting on one of my planted out brugs. 3 snails and 1 slug dispatched.

My only performing brug, Charles Grimaldi, is also about to unleash a barrage of flowers, should be a treat!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Leaves are batteted as our my sunflowers. Must be the best garden nibbles out there. Ill have better pics on my website
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My potted one is doing well with 20 or so open flowers at the moment, and where as I used to remove side shoots as 'competing for nutrients' I've left them on this year, and found they produce many more flowers than the main stems. I'm not sure how many flowers will be open ant any one time, but it will be a long lasting flush icon_thumleft
Attachments
2013-08-21 08-09-22 Big Brug.jpg
2013-08-21 08-09-36 Brug buds.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Mine have been sadly neglected this year. Took a dive whilst we were on our holidays, but survived. My yellow one is just coming into bud. The variegated pink flowered one seemed to pick up better, and have had blooms come and go over the last weeks. When I see pics of how mine could have looked, it makes me realise I must try harder, I'm a bad, bad, gardener (but with good intentions) :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Leaves are batteted as our my sunflowers. Must be the best garden nibbles out there. Ill have better pics on my website
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

So whats the key to stop the bugs.
derrick

Post by derrick »

My Yellow and pink both had lots of flowers on them this year . I have a caterpillars eating them cant find it also found 6 red lilly beetles on the top leaves have to go bug hunting
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Dave Brown wrote:My potted one is doing well with 20 or so open flowers at the moment, and where as I used to remove side shoots as 'competing for nutrients' I've left them on this year, and found they produce many more flowers than the main stems. I'm not sure how many flowers will be open ant any one time, but it will be a long lasting flush icon_thumleft
How hard do you cut that back each year Dave? I am really happy my variegated one has 4 blooms on it and there about to open. Now I can finally figure out what one it is.
derrick

Post by derrick »

You can cut them back as much as you want i use to remove side shoots and have one growing point to get some height on it before it flower . Now i just cut it back to fit in conservatory as to big .How large can they get to mines a good 8feet or more .Mike If you do cut it back be careful the sap dont spit in your eyes and wash hands
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

My pink second-season one has buds but hasn't flowered this year yet, which is baffling as the yellow cutting I only got this past spring, which is much smaller, has flowered already.

The pink one is 8ft tall, it overwintered outside and was a bit slow to leaf out this mediocre spring. It constantly dries out and I need to water it with a hosepipe while the yellow one doesn't need much watering (both of my brugs are in the ground).

For the winter I'm going to only cut them back a little bit, just enough to make it easy to fleece them. The stem tends to get frost-damaged from the top down to a certain point, so I'm assuming the less cut back the more tissue will survive the winter and the better the start in the spring.

The trunk of the pink one is pretty thick and almost woody, so should have good hardiness, and I'm going to give the lower parts extra protection, maybe wrap leaves around them.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Take a look at this. I have put it on before, but you can't have too much of it.

Be careful Otorongo, Brugs even when woody are not frost tolerant. The sap layer just below the bark mushes, but they can come back from the roots if that happens. The taller, more dense the crown, the more protection it will give to the lower parts of the plant :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

Depressing :)

How to get my brugs to be that covered in flowers? Is there a regime for:

How much water each day?
How much over-feeding?

The only thing I know about mine is that it isn't enough.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Dave Brown wrote:Be careful Otorongo, Brugs even when woody are not frost tolerant. The sap layer just below the bark mushes, but they can come back from the roots if that happens. The taller, more dense the crown, the more protection it will give to the lower parts of the plant :)
Well the leaves will drop so not much protection from them.
I was hoping the wood would offer some protection, will have to wrap the base really well then and hope for a mild winter.
Last winter it survived outside and only the very tops got mushed, maybe 10% of the trunk, but it was a mild winter and the plant was in a much more sheltered location in a pot. I only planted it in the ground this year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

otorongo wrote: Well the leaves will drop so not much protection from them.
I was hoping the wood would offer some protection, will have to wrap the base really well then and hope for a mild winter.
Last winter it survived outside and only the very tops got mushed, maybe 10% of the trunk, but it was a mild winter and the plant was in a much more sheltered location in a pot. I only planted it in the ground this year.
I have lost them to ground level however well I wrap them. I think the wind chill drives the frost through and as the sap layer is right on the outside of the plant any subzeros damage it. That is why mine are in tubs :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright