Environment Agency clearing giant hogweed! what a specimen!

cordyman

Environment Agency clearing giant hogweed! what a specimen!

Post by cordyman »

Found this one twitter! :shock: :shock: :shock: drunken_smilie1

Environment Agency ‏@EnvAgency 10h
The sap from Giant Hogweed can cause blistered skin. Report it on plant tracker: http://ow.ly/otfXe

http://ow.ly/i/32gpt/original

ps. piri piri and parrots feather on the plant tracker :lol:
greyhound

Re: Environment Agency clearing giant hogweed! what a specim

Post by greyhound »

It's a fanastic looking architectural plant but it spreads and seeds like wildfire and its sap is like sulphuric acid .
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

will someone please pack up a good bunch and send it my way before it all gets destroyed! I know I sound a bit crazy but I honestly want a nice one for a potted plant.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

will someone please pack up a good bunch and send it my way before it all gets destroyed! I know I sound a bit crazy but I honestly want a nice one for a potted plant.
multim

Post by multim »

I'm in Cornwall right now and have seen it growing in all sorts of places. Nice looking plant....in the right place! But not in my garden.....Had it, got rid of it!
kata

Post by kata »

Wheeeeeee...nice Cordy!

icon_cheers
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

You must be a glutton for punishment Mike
It looks nice but the stem is hollow and maybe about 3 inch thick and 10 inch in diameter .One of the guys who helps me on the farm used to work on the parks department for the local city council,one of their annual jobs was to cut this thing down on the river banks every autumn.They had to dress up in full protective gear like you would wear in dealing with a nuclear leakage and they had to use chain saws to fell it ,the sap sprayed everywhere .I have a couple these brutes in my top field down by the brook .I run over it with the topper every 2 weeks but it still keeps coming back.If you want I I would be pleaded to dig it up and send It to you next day delivery via FedEx ........but if you get thrown in prison by the Feds for importing a dangerous plant don't sue me .... You are on your own.. :lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

miketropic wrote:will someone please pack up a good bunch and send it my way before it all gets destroyed! I know I sound a bit crazy but I honestly want a nice one for a potted plant.
Sorry, no can do; as Greyhound implies, it's illegal to import it into the USA.

Greyhound - to get rid of it, use a long-handled hoe to cut the roots just below ground level under young plants in spring. That's supposed to kill it.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

greyhound wrote:You must be a glutton for punishment Mike
It looks nice but the stem is hollow and maybe about 3 inch thick and 10 inch in diameter .One of the guys who helps me on the farm used to work on the parks department for the local city council,one of their annual jobs was to cut this thing down on the river banks every autumn.They had to dress up in full protective gear like you would wear in dealing with a nuclear leakage and they had to use chain saws to fell it ,the sap sprayed everywhere .I have a couple these brutes in my top field down by the brook .I run over it with the topper every 2 weeks but it still keeps coming back.If you want I I would be pleaded to dig it up and send It to you next day delivery via FedEx ........but if you get thrown in prison by the Feds for importing a dangerous plant don't sue me .... You are on your own.. :lol:

:lol: possibly so I'm not sure. Its not a plant I would put in a garden I don't guess maybe in a pot to admire..some place I didn't have to deal with being around out. maybe when I get to a place where the garden will be more permanent I would plant it there.I believe Will Giles has some Giant knot weed in his garden but it is contained on all sides with rocks..kind of what I would do with the hog weed. no worries I'll find it sooner or later.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Mike, if they caught you I reckon you'd do more time than if you were growing another sort of pot plant!
kata

Post by kata »

Thats even if you/we could get it through custums,

I watch Australia's 'Anything to Declaire'? Its unbelievable what they try to get through.

But...they always get caught under the scanner.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I guess the thing is if it got out and seeded in you local area , then roll on 5 years, you'd have a very expensive new super weed for local government to deal with. Not a good species to introduce to a virgin country.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Oh its here already. It just hasent been reported in my state yet. I think the closest It is would be michigan or illinois. Most of New England has information about it and a sighting hotline so it isnt new to the states at all. There more worried about Kudzu weed taking over someones house right this moment :lol: Not that I am actively thinking of a way to get some but I would think seed would be your best bet.. the plant is very noticeable and likely to get a red flag...A few seed packets in a envelope..morning glory, passion vine...hogweed, pumpkin... :lol: you know a nice fall mix
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
kudzuweed.jpg
Which looks a bit like our Ivy, and yes thatIvy of ours is a plant that gets outa control if allowed.
kudzua.jpg
kudzua.jpg (14.68 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Are they both Kudzu Mike?
icon_cheers
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

There shoould be a few "interesting" plants in Japan soon with radiation levels jumping 18 fold in the last few days. :shock:
Sago`s that grow inches per day or bamboos that glow in the dark icon_shaking