Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

sanatic1234

Re: Echium, I wasn't prepared for this to grow so big...

Post by sanatic1234 »

cordyman wrote:Just look at that icon_salut icon_salut

[ Image ]
Yep absolutely fantastic but will be harder to get through the winter than pinianna. But hey joys of exotic gardening. :-)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

stephen I had 12 of those candicans in 2012 got protected really well, but they all died they don't really like anything lower than 2c so kevin scales told me i got the seeds from him.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

As you can see from the photo that Cordy posted the ones at Ness were there for a fair few years (hence the bunch). I'd say in that time they would have seen maybe -2 or -3C.. so perhaps tolerant of some light frost.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I would may be suggest good micro climate and not such extreme temps, i got into double figures in 2012. But i was going on the advice kevin gave me with him growin them for long time to, the RHS say warm temperatures and heated greenhouse. I dare say ness has a very good micro climate.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Right.....I am going to try one of these this year.....Is it best to buy seed or a young plant ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That choice is yours cod, but what i can say is that growing them from seed is so easy! easier than growing canna's from seed and that is extremely easy. If you buy a plant you may be able to get a good advantage but as you can see from the pic i posted they do grow fast. Like i mentioned mine is only 10 months old and just a tiny bit over 4ft. But to be fare this one has grown quicker than my last one that flowered but then we have had a better winter.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Does anyone know when we are likely to have any signs of movement with these this year and will my multiheaded one actually flower anyway?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Springy wrote:Does anyone know when we are likely to have any signs of movement with these this year and will my multiheaded one actually flower anyway?
Both of mine are away and showing buds now. Excuse the crappy pictures.
Attachments
PicsArt_1394301330544.jpg
PicsArt_1394301289529.jpg
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Have they had ant form of protection
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

These are the echiums on the IOW at ventnor, quite impressive

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=bf8 ... :0&t=False

Mine will hopefully flower this year as its their 3rd season, they look to be on the move
pdid

Post by pdid »

The Codfather wrote:Have they had ant form of protection
No, they were potted 1st year, overwintered in shed then planted out last year, no protection over Winter. The big one didn't like the 85mph winds we had a few weeks back and blew over, fortunately it didn't snap and seems to have carried on growing after staking.

I lost 4 last Spring which had been planted out in their 1st year, these were from the same batch but were spares left in pots and somewhat neglected.

If you do buy a plant try and get a one year old, this way you will only need to get it through one Winter before flowering.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

The Codfather wrote:Right.....I am going to try one of these this year.....Is it best to buy seed or a young plant ?
very easy from seed, fast germination and rapid growth

does anyone have any Echium Wildpretii seed or know where I can get some? 1 listing on ebay but that's an auction and it pretty pricey

EDIT: Found some on ebay Germany, 5 left http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181331164037? ... 1439.l2649
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Here it is now, will it flower this year that's the question??

How's it grown so much since September too?? See op. For pic.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Both mine are 3rd year plants and both have flower buds on them now.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Mines dead I have a five foot post overprotected the poor thing .I have six small ones and no room to plant them .I will keep some in big pots .