Overwinter Agave - UK

Blairs

Overwinter Agave - UK

Post by Blairs »

I have a number of Agave (mainly Americanna - I think I have all varieties now) that I bought this year. Mainly offsets, all in well draining soil (at least 60% grit and compost) in terracotta and metal pots on top of gravel on a south facing situ next to a wall. The smaller ones can fit in some coldframes but the larger ones can go in a greenhouse. Is a coldframe ok? It can get to -5C here so it is mild for the area but still not great. I know the key is keeping them dry, so am hoping that the coldframe will work, otherwise they will go in a greenhouse that will be heated or some windowsills (which my wife hates me using for any plants)
otorongo

Re: Overwinter Agave - UK

Post by otorongo »

I don't think you even need to protect them if it only gets down to -5C? They grow unprotected in London.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

If the lowest you get is -5C they they should be fine, as you say keeping them dry is more important...
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Great! I was hoping to get away with just cold frames this year.

Out of interest I have a lot of Vermiculite - can I use that with Agave?
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Blairs wrote:Out of interest I have a lot of Vermiculite - can I use that with Agave?
I think perlite would be better for drainage, vermiculite retains more water.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

otorongo wrote:
Blairs wrote:Out of interest I have a lot of Vermiculite - can I use that with Agave?
I think perlite would be better for drainage, vermiculite retains more water.
Thank you - I always confuse Vermiculite and perlite to my peril!
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

For agaves and cacti check out Seramis or use 2-4mm grit mixed 50/50 with John Innes No. 2 for outdoors. They should be fine in a coldframe.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I tried leaving my variegated agave out in a raised bed 50:50 grit/compost last winter.Snails and slugs spoilt the look of it,so I put it back in a pot and kept it in the greenhouse.Luckily the damage is growing out pretty quickly.I dont want to risk some of my slower growing agaves,even if they are supposed to be hardy(A.parryi,montana,etc.)It's a shame because I would much rather see them planted out.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Varigated Americanas are more delicate than most.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Think the trick is to keep them dry.