WOW! Colocasia.............

RozDevon

WOW! Colocasia.............

Post by RozDevon »

Just back from visit to NT Overbecks in Salcombe.
Seen fabulous colocasias planted in the ground in walled garden, with dicksonias and cyatheas, just amazing plants.
Also in the beds were huge swathes of hedychium Tara (had to buy one!)
In other parts of the garden were colocasia Black Magic, WOW, what a plant!
Will have to try one of these next year, that'll be a challenge!
The whole garden was a wonderland of tender trees, shrubs, grasses and bananas, and a brug that stays out all winter!
Can you believe it? Talked to the gardener lady there who was so knowledgeable and a delight to talk to.
A garden that surpassed all expectations, just amazing.
fern Rob

Re: WOW! Colocasia.............

Post by fern Rob »

RozDevon wrote:Just back from visit to NT Overbecks in Salcombe.
Seen fabulous colocasias planted in the ground in walled garden, with dicksonias and cyatheas, just amazing plants.
The whole garden was a wonderland of tender trees, shrubs, grasses and bananas, and a brug that stays out all winter!
Can you believe it? Talked to the gardener lady there who was so knowledgeable and a delight to talk to.
What where the tree ferns, any pictures of them?
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Sorry, no photos. Dicksonia and cyatheas. Dicksonias 5' tall. Cyatheas a little bit smaller. All looking very healthy, the cyatheas get wrapped with fleece in the winter, but there is an amazing microclimate in the garden, which is on a steep slope down to the creek at Salcombe.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Its a shame they don't sell them :lol: .
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Yes, I know, whether it is because its the end of season, but the plants for sale were limited.
Got a Fascicularia (I think thats it!) for £5. And the ginger lily was 6.75 which I thought was pretty good.
The whole place was awesome, I'm just blown away by what I've seen.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I will have to visit the garden one day.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

We spent 5 hours there, just going round and round the paths again and again, revisiting everything again, as we could'nt quite believe what we had seen first time round!
And we are both fairly seasoned long time gardeners!
The gardener lady said even in the hard winters they hardly got touched by frost, such is the tree cover, the sloping south facing layout, with walls, and the micro climate.
What a place to work! Can I have another life please???????
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm going to have to build some valleys to protect my garden.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

I agree!!
Today is the third day of gale force east winds here, everything is being battered to bits!
Poor dahlias and brugs. Heavy pots being blown over. Delicate foliage smashed about. And my garden is sheltered by 6' fences, 12' conifer hedge and the bungalow on the other side!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've started a new Newspaper here.... The Daily Gale :roll: Gales not due here until tomorrow, just a fresh breeze today, so quite calm really.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Half Hardy »

RozDevon wrote:Just back from visit to NT Overbecks in Salcombe.
Thanks for the post roz icon_salut . I'm always on the look out for places, nearby to visit.This sounds like a good day out.
Salcombe is a nice place anyway,but throw in an exotic garden and i'm there icon_cheers

My vote for the best garden to visit,in the southwest would be Trebah.

I'm guessing the cyathea,they have planted out,will be C.australis.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Hi halfhardy!
Yes, its well worth a visit to see the tropical stuff. Can you believe they have 12' high oleander shrubs, not protected in winter? And also four orange trees planted in the ground, survived the last 2 winters!!
Its best to get there earlier than opening time (11am) as the car park is small and the lane up the hill from South Sands beach is very narrow.
Although, as you are a local and used to narrow West Country lanes I'm sure it won't be a problem for you!!!
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I went here in july. Amazing place. I have pics that iwill add soon.

No wonder he was an inventor with all that time in that garden to think of new ideas.