What do you have planned over the winter?

jezza

What do you have planned over the winter?

Post by jezza »

Yes yes i know it's a bit premature but if like me you may be thinking of what changes you can make to your garden over the winter period. What ya planning?

For me, well every year i plan to clear the huge pile of junk at the very bottom of my garden and every spring it's still not done. Unfortunately (for me) the wife has decided she wants to keep chickens next year so i've got no choice but to clear it over the winter. I have a massive task ahead of me and as there's no access for machinery, i've got to shift it all by hand. Luckily most of it is burnable.

Standing three quarters down the garden you wouldn't think there was anything there......
junk1.jpg

But open the gate and, well.....
junk2.jpg

The fence is holding it all back....
junk3.jpg

Wonder what i'll find in this lot.....
junk4.jpg
junk5.jpg
junk6.jpg
junk7.jpg
Anyone fancy a job?
kata

Re: What do you have planned over the winter?

Post by kata »

Blutty heck, did you have a hurricane all summer?

I am stuck for words but good luck Jez!!

For me nothing to do all winter but shop, surf, and watch TV unless the winter is kind in which case I can re-pot stuff.

I have only to sweep up, mowed this evening.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Put my Polly house fully up, put heating in it and fill it with tree ferns. Then sit back and worry to see if they survive.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jezza wrote:Wonder what i'll find in this lot.....
A hibernating Hedgehog or two . . .

DO NOT DISTURB!

There's the excuse you need :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

It was worse than that kata, i advertised most of the wood for firewood and one bloke came and took it. I pulled some more out today as seen in first pic to make a bonfire for nov 5th. But that's just scratched the surface. My garden is 100 feet long so wheelbarrowing some to a skip will be somewhat tiring :roll:

Conifers wrote: A hibernating Hedgehog or two . . .

DO NOT DISTURB!

Don't say that it will mean doing it in the spring when i'll have happier things to be doing, like plant shopping :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

My plan is to over winter in my garage, windowsills, cold frames and a new greenhouse. Musa's, Brug's, Hedychiums, Cannas, Dahlia are going in the garage, Agaves and some others (Tetrapanax, Pseudopanax etc) in the greenhouse, smaller Musa, Alocasia/Colocasia are going to the windowsills. At some point next year my plan is to lower the level of the greenhouse.

Other plans:
bottom of garden slope: level and either deck or slab
Front garden: buy some more Buxus to replace gaps in hedge
Shift some plants around
Have bought some horticultural fleece and am going to protect the palms for the very first time so they look less crappe for a change.

Thinks that is it icon_scratch
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jezza wrote:
Conifers wrote: A hibernating Hedgehog or two . . .

DO NOT DISTURB!

Don't say that it will mean doing it in the spring when i'll have happier things to be doing, like plant shopping :D
There'll be birds nesting in it in spring, it'd be illegal to disturb it then. icon_thumright
derrick

Post by derrick »

Jezza been fly tipping again dont dig up the slow worms
derrick

Post by derrick »

Do you get fraggles on your trash heap .My garden was like that its a good time to move stuff winter .
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (225.78 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: Stop it Conifers... :lol:

Love them there Fraggles, very colorful Derrick.

Jez, take your time, move slowly through it. Good Idea about the bommy fire.

icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Is this a new house Jezza? or is your tropical bit behind where your stood in first shot?

Epic mountain of rubbish there!

maxi-skip hire and wheelbarrow it 100 times?
jezza

Post by jezza »

derrick wrote:Do you get fraggles on your trash heap .My garden was like that its a good time to move stuff winter .
I remember watching that!
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Thats going to be such a satisfying job to get done. Good luck with it!!!! Look forward to the "after" photos!

Plans for winter - today I have repotted all my succulent collection in gritty mixture and put them all outside the front door/sidewall L shape area. South facing with big overhanging eave which keeps them dry in winter. Some aloe vera plants there as well.
Planning to take 2 brugs out of large pots and into smaller pots and put in garage before we go on hols 23.11.13.
Should be warm enough here before then.
Now,I have a new Phoenix canariensis_CIDP from Mossers, shall I bring it in to the garage/house? Some people near here have them out in the ground but not sure what to do with it.
An oleander which is about 18" tall - bring into garage before frosts.
Washingtonia in a pot, new this year. About 2' tall. Shall I bring this one in as well or take a chance?
The new dicksonia 5' is doing really well. Has had another flush of 8 fronds last month and looks gorgeous.
Shall wrap in fleece, trunk and around the top, leaving the leaves out as shown by someone on here recently.
Smaller dicksonia ("Bruce") in front garden gets wrapped as well.
Aeonium swartzcop (can never spell that word!) - have lost several over the years. Last one was in the loft, with two windows for light, but it was too cold and lost it. Shall I bring that one into the house although the light is not so good for it?
Lots of planning and lists and diagrams this winter, planning a tropical effect bed in the front garden now, so will have to choose carefully as its windy there although facing the sea so not too cold.
Happy days!!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

You will have a lot of usable garden once the wood etc as gone.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

What do I have planned over the winter?

I'm moving to Malta 8)

Fed up of the cold weather so we are leaving the cold, damp, grey UK for the sunny shores of the Mediterranean. Keeping our house in the UK too (& my garden) & just taking a few palms to keep me happy icon_thumright