Trachycarpus princeps seeds...where to buy?

David York

Re: Trachycarpus princeps seeds...where to buy?

Post by David York »

kata wrote:£20.00 Nigel... :ahhh!:

Seems a bit steep If its correct.

icon_sunny
Extremely good value for such a rare palm! Remember also that they are very fresh, so germination should be very good. You even get a choice of two forms!
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

kata wrote:£20.00 Nigel... :ahhh!:

Seems a bit steep If its correct.

icon_sunny
Unfortunately its correct.... and believe me for 25 seeds that is lowest price they have ever been offered by some distance.
Lowest price RPS offered for was 36 euros for 10 seeds.
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

Seems a decent price. Even if you only end up with one or two plants.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Nigel wrote:They germinate sporadically over 3 years , I would say a third at least will germinate in 1st year , you usually get a few instant germinations. I dont know what Redsquirrrel was doing but that is not typical germination. I have been germinating them for years now. I always found the best way was to put them in a pot and leave the pot in the garden in sunshine and you will always have good germination during the spring and summer.
they can take longer than that too,Ive been getting seedlings from Jan in cornwall and last year saw more germinating from the same batch he bought 5 years ago. said he wasnt expecting anymore after the fifth year.
as for where i went wrong,i think my medium was too dry as i watered them in october and hey presto,one pops up.
the problem with experimenting with them is the price,i was too careful so as not to rot them i think.

as for Nigels price,thats the best ive ever seen them,even buying from coldplant direct they are more than that
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

redsquirrel wrote:
they can take longer than that too,Ive been getting seedlings from Jan in cornwall and last year saw more germinating from the same batch he bought 5 years ago.
Yep I can believe that, the seed just doesnt rot. Sooner or later they germinate. They like english spring and summer weather to germinate well. variations of heat and humidity.
kata

Post by kata »

If you have a need for 25 seeds then its a bargain.

:mrgreen:
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Hi Nigel,

Are the Burma Princeps seeds, what were refered to as Princeps W on the EPS forum?
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

At The Tropical Centre they have princeps seeds http://www.tropicalcentre.com/
If they need so much time to germinate smoke them it may help
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ash101uk wrote:Hi Nigel,

Are the Burma Princeps seeds, what were refered to as Princeps W on the EPS forum?
yes
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I wonder if giving the seeds a month or two of cold to start with could make them germinate a bit quicker?!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I am convinced that exposure to normal UK weather incentivises germination.
Kata mail me if you just want to buy a handful, or anybody else, happy to do special small packs.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Do you have to chit the seeds?
David York

Post by David York »

Unusual question! Chitting (or sprouting) is commonly used when growing potatoes. The tubers are forced into growing prior to planting to give them a head start.

Chitted or sprouted seeds are a popular salad vegetable.

So enquiring if palm seeds need chitting or sprouting seems rather a strange question.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

David York wrote:Unusual question! Chitting (or sprouting) is commonly used when growing potatoes. The tubers are forced into growing prior to planting to give them a head start.

Chitted or sprouted seeds are a popular salad vegetable.

So enquiring if palm seeds need chitting or sprouting seems rather a strange question.
Well you chit Canna seeds, and I thought it may give the same results.
David York

Post by David York »

Rob, chitting means pre-sprouting. Are you getting mixed up with 'nicking' or 'scarifying'? This is done with hard coated seeds to aid germination, but this is not chitting.