Arrow bamboo

tyanthos

Arrow bamboo

Post by tyanthos »

Hello,

I am looking for advice about two large pots containing pseudosasa japonica. I acquired these only a month ago and wondered if they would survive a winter outside. The two plants have only been potted 5 or 6 weeks after being removed from a huge bamboo grove. Each pot only has two culms about 6 feet tall.
I would prefer to keep them potted until next spring when I plan to plant them in a suitable location
I have a unheated garage which I could take them into if necessary.
Any advice would be appreciated.....Thanks.
allangreenbean

Re: Arrow bamboo

Post by allangreenbean »

They should be fine outside taking temps as low as -20c.

Potted they may be more exposed but I have found there are more likely to get too dry rather than too cold so water in the + temps especially if the leaves start to curl.

I've had less hardy bamboo in pots in a north facing location and they did fine.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Keep them somewhere out of cold winds during the worst of the winter and they should be okay.

My big 10 year old clump was badly burnt by the horrible March easterlies earlier this year.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

The only other problems will be if there's not enough Rhizome material to establish, and when it does establish, it potentially spreading too far in a few years time if you put it in the ground without some kind of root-barrier.