Deck blocks

derrick

Deck blocks

Post by derrick »

Got these deck blocks back in the summer for my deck it was built on a old patio under the slabs lots of hardcore to lazy to dig the holes so it sits on these with a ledger bolted to the wall the decks raised it works ok
Attachments
DSCF3694.JPG
DSCF3693.JPG
fern Rob

Re: Deck blocks

Post by fern Rob »

They are a good idea, they should last a long time without rotting the wood.
derrick

Post by derrick »

They have a groove in the bottom so water runs away so the post should last some time I bolted the posts on .I got the deck plans from some site
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I may use something like that to sit my potential greenhouse on.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I've used Ytong blocks to support my deck, the deck rests straight on the blocks. The wind dries the elevated wooden structure, so rot is no issue up to now. I've used impregnated wood, so it's also protected.
The blocks look the same as when I put them there, hardly any ageing.

Yours look fine as long as there's no possibility of water staying in the blocks and soaking the support poles.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
derrick

Post by derrick »

Eddie the block has like a cross on the top that slopes to a drainage hole .No movement on it i used 6x2 joist and its fixed to a wall with a anchor bolts with washers
derrick

Post by derrick »

I can just about crawl under the deck if I need too
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

These look ideal for my needs as im building over crazy paving that in places pools when it rains heavily. Cheers for posting. BTW how much and where from ?
derrick

Post by derrick »

Lots deck blocks in the states not much in the uk they came from Wrekin concrete Shropshire I have seen others my wife likes haggling with stuff that helps
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Cheers they look hard to find local to me.Found one place too far away and £7 a block.
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

I do like decking but just to warn people that if your decking is over 1 foot high you will need planning permission. Someone 3 months ago grassed us up about our decking around our swimming pool so we had the planning round from the council. As ours was 4 feet high he said we needed permission and told us since October 2008 I think he said that any decking which is raised over 1 foot high from existing floor height now needs planning. It's stupid. So as we were getting married in September we couldn't afford another £600 to have plans drawn up and submit planning at the time . Also when we spoke to a few surveyors they all said basically 90% of decking applications get turned down. Needless to say I am in the process of taking the decking down and removing the pool as it's too dangerous for my daughter as a 4 foot drop can really hurt.

Sorry to hijack but I just wanted to make you guys aware as I am a builder and I didn't even know about this.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

B19bst wrote:I do like decking but just to warn people that if your decking is over 1 foot high you will need planning permission. Someone 3 months ago grassed us up about our decking around our swimming pool so we had the planning round from the council. As ours was 4 feet high he said we needed permission and told us since October 2008 I think he said that any decking which is raised over 1 foot high from existing floor height now needs planning. It's stupid. So as we were getting married in September we couldn't afford another £600 to have plans drawn up and submit planning at the time . Also when we spoke to a few surveyors they all said basically 90% of decking applications get turned down. Needless to say I am in the process of taking the decking down and removing the pool as it's too dangerous for my daughter as a 4 foot drop can really hurt.

Sorry to hijack but I just wanted to make you guys aware as I am a builder and I didn't even know about this.

Very true. I'm going to be very carefully with mine which will be 29 cm tall.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

things like deck height and all that rubbish is one of the small perks of living in America. I can put up the worst fence and a 3 tier deck made of rotten logs about to come crashing down...and no one says a word :lol: .. going to use some deck blocks on my next project since the new house needs deck front and back
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

In Scotland you can build a decking area without permission up to 50cm high and 2.5 meters long and not exceeding 4sq meters. I only know this as a local paper ran a story about a family who decked their entire garden and they got grassed up by the neighbours as it looked ridiculous.

Anyway Derrick - I think those bricks are a really good and practical idea for decking posts as long as the ground is really compacted as they are sitting on top rather in the ground. Some of my patio slabs are a out by 1 cm or so as some have sunk due to last years wet weather and winter and need more cement sand to fix, so I wonder if you might get some movement?