Chinese Yellow Bananas - Musella lasiocarpa anyone grow?

cordyman

Re: Chinese Yellow Bananas - Musella lasiocarpa anyone grow?

Post by cordyman »

miketropic wrote:I would say there very worth it. I have had one a few years now..has about 12 pups at the moment and takes -13c without a problem. I cut it back after first frost throw a bag with a bit of straw in it over the top and its good all winter..maybe a flower next year.

i'm sold Mike! :lol: :lol:
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

I've had one in a pot for the last 3 years, and its got loads of pups too, never had any luck getting any to take or I'd give you one. Its the one in the pot on the left.
Attachments
basjoo0ct1.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

callin wrote:
cordyman wrote:OK cheers guys, sounds like its not worth it, I think Musella would be a no go.
Cordy did you watch Kris video.
In my eyes is definitely worth to grow it. icon_thumleft

Kris, beautyful video, beautyful music, fantastic flower, best ....thank you for your efforts.
What you have done to it to make it flower :?: :wink: , you keep it only inside icon_scratch , special fertiliser with high potasium content, may be? age?

I think this nana needs higher temperatures to thrive in UK.Greend house anyone try it?
In Romania during the summer it grows quite fast 1 leaf in 10 -12 days, full sun and temps from 25 to 35C.
In winter lost all the leaves though I bring it inside. In April or May it comes out and instantly start grow again if the temperatures are high enough.
icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris wrote:One of my favourites....

cordyman wrote:What a video Kris! grand stuff icon_thumleft

Certainly unfolds an incredible amount of petals!

I'm going to try one next year then and protect it in situ with straw cage, then waterproof on top to keep dry, for better height the next year

You mean you guys didn't watch this video when I first published it back in January? :D

It's probably my favourite video I have made and the last one from my old house.

It was kept in the same pot I bought it in and flowered in its second or third summer. It was fed a bit of miracle grow and chicken pellets and decided to flower after the wettest and dankest summer ever (2012). It eventually flowered over Xmas and took many weeks for the flower to unfurl as shown in the video.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Does it get any fruit Kris?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

cheshirepalms wrote:I've had one in a pot for the last 3 years, and its got loads of pups too, never had any luck getting any to take
I took a load two years ago and some more this year. If you cut into the plant and take some of the corm, they take quite easily. Hopefully may be of help to you................

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... pa#p295067
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cheshirepalms wrote:Does it get any fruit Kris?

I didn't really give it time as I move house and left it behind.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:I've had one in a pot for the last 3 years, and its got loads of pups too, never had any luck getting any to take
I took a load two years ago and some more this year. If you cut into the plant and take some of the corm, they take quite easily. Hopefully may be of help to you................

Whens the best time of year try? It will probably be re potted next spring or planted.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

cheshirepalms wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:

Whens the best time of year try? It will probably be re potted next spring or planted.
April 21st 2012 is the date of the post , so thats the day those particular one's were taken. This years i did much later, only about a month ago
callin

Post by callin »

Oh ..Kris how could you left it behind..?
And u say that we are mean :twisted: icon_scratch
I missed the video, shame on me.
If my memorie serves me right i ve seen one video of your mussella , but it was not flowering like in this great video. It was a shorter video somthing...You now what I talk about.
However, icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumright I m grateful for your patience and determination involved to produce those timelapse videos.
Springy

Post by Springy »

miketropic wrote:I would say there very worth it. I have had one a few years now..has about 12 pups at the moment and takes -13c without a problem. I cut it back after first frost throw a bag with a bit of straw in it over the top and its good all winter..maybe a flower next year.
That's exactly what I used to do with mine. It was the first tropical/exotic plant that I grew and it's the plant that first got me into this hobby in the first place! I have always been a gardener but musella got me hooked on tropicals!
I got low on straw one year so didn't protect is as well as I should have done and it wiped out a whole clump except for one pup which after transplanting died the following year!
Wrap well and it comes back year after year!

Pic is of my 3 year old clump that I lost the winter after this pic was taken. (Winter 2010)
I purchased a replacement this year which will be planted out next spring icon_cheers
Attachments
image.jpg
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

I have been trying to offload a big one in a 25lt pot (free to good home!) but no takers so I guess not many are interested, grows OK but its too small for me
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:One of my favourites....

You mean you guys didn't watch this video when I first published it back in January? :D

I was probably eating lots of leftover xmas cake and drinking too much Ale :cry: :mrgreen: Great vid though, how did you choose the soundtrack? a piece you already knew or?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Springy wrote:
That's exactly what I used to do with mine. It was the first tropical/exotic plant that I grew and it's the plant that first got me into this hobby in the first place! I have always been a gardener but musella got me hooked on tropicals!
I got low on straw one year so didn't protect is as well as I should have done and it wiped out a whole clump except for one pup which after transplanting died the following year!
Wrap well and it comes back year after year!

Pic is of my 3 year old clump that I lost the winter after this pic was taken. (Winter 2010)
I purchased a replacement this year which will be planted out next spring icon_cheers

springy so that pic is of one which the p-stem (does it have a p-stem!?) survived three winters? or simply the ground clump made it through and regrew to that size from base?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine does fine in a fifteen inch tub. The pups have been left and they are biggish plants in themselves. I thought it might be big enough to fruit this year but nothing so far. No problem, it's still a looker at five feet and that distinctive bulbous p-stem/trunk.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Here's mine. I love my Musella, the leaves reach 6ft high now. Even without the flower it is a very tropical looking plant. Hopefully mine will flower next year.