Rotary Mowers

kata

Rotary Mowers

Post by kata »

Are they the ones that don't need electric?

I am sick of waiting for rain to stop so I can mow. After rain stops I have to wait at least three days for the lawn to dry out.

I thought when I mowed a week or so ago that was it till Spring but with all the rain, sun in between its long again. :(

Are cable free mowers ok?

icon_scratch
Dim

Re: Rotary Mowers

Post by Dim »

you need an Etesia .... I can mow in the rain and it picks up all the clippings

thats why many councils are switching to Etesia (The green and white mowers)

I have a few mowers including Hayter, Honda etc and Etesia is tops... mine has the large Honda engine

if your lawn is small, get a Bosch Rotak electric .... it also picks up wet grass

I paid £150 for my Etesia off ebay ... a new one costs close to £1000
kata

Post by kata »

Bosch Rotak electric
But Dim, is it safe to use on wet grass?

icon_scratch
multim

Post by multim »

Yes, petrol rotary mowers are fine for wet grass. The grass will be wet and heavy and may block en route to the grass bag, but they are safe if rather messy! Look for a good 2nd hand petrol rather than a cheap and nasty one for £99. It won't last.
I use a Honda with rear roller drive.
Incidentally, I collect Victorian hand mowers and this example is a cylinder mower circa 1890 and it still works!
Attachments
Green's Multum-in-Parvo circa 1890
Green's Multum-in-Parvo circa 1890
Last edited by multim on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i bought a petrol mower last month secondhand for £35 and it collects wet grass, top deal!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

There was chatter about a £100 mower in this thread, that lead to the Bosch Rotak being First Choice I think :)

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 81#p368081
Dim

Post by Dim »

speaking of which ....

I placed an advert in our local corner shop a week ago looking for garden work in my area ....

Yesterday, I mowed a lawn just over an acre in size ... it was fairly long (and wet), and I ad to mow twice (1st time without the grass catcher box), and then again to pick up some of the large clumps of grass that were left on the lawn ....

took me 2 hrs 15 minutes, but the garden has several trees dotted around the centre of the lawn.... this will be a weekly job in the spring, and will also include weeding, hedge trimming etc and sorting a decent veg patch for them in raised beds

... a sit on is out of the question, as you cannot get it trough the small garden side gate

I received another call today to quote for a garden, as the gardener that they used to use has moved ... its about half an acre, but manageable in quick time ....

the lady then asked if I would be interested to work for her neighbour who also used the previous gardener ... I replied yes, and she took me over to meet the lady

an amazing house .... it was a mill, and the river runs right through the bottom of the house (the house is built ontop of the river)

its on 3 acres .... so looks like I will have to get a decent sit on next year ... perhaps a zero turn that mulches .... there are many large properties in my area and it will pay itself off quickly ... The guys in the USA are raving about the Husqvarna zero turn which cost just over $2000 brand new ...

I have used several sits on's including Hayter and Honda and they are all loads of shallots and clog up ... The Hayter That I used used to have the problem of the belt slipping off the pulleys in wet, and the £4000 Honda that I currently use at a client's home cannot pick up damp grass at all ...

Last edited by Dim on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dim

Post by Dim »

kata wrote:
Bosch Rotak electric
But Dim, is it safe to use on wet grass?

icon_scratch
as long as the blade is sharp, it wont damage the grass ...

and the cable won't shock you
kata

Post by kata »

Thats some mower Dim, I could do all the estate with that without getting tired.. :lol: :lol: Nice area too.

multim; thanks for showing us your antique mowers, still look in good nick too.

Thanks for the link Kristen.

F.F, nice buy at £35 can't moan at that eh.. :lol:

Thanks everyone!