Jacaranda mimosifolia in the uk.

Half Hardy

Jacaranda mimosifolia in the uk.

Post by Half Hardy »

I know they are not reliably hardy but has anyone tried planting Jacaranda trees out in the uk.I have grown quite a few from seed.They are growing very quickly,so I will not have room in the greenhouse for them all ,by next winter.
I have seen plenty in Spain and Greece,so I am guessing they can take a light frost.I could protect them with fleece and outdoor rope lights.What do you think my chances of success are?I don't expect it to flower but it is still worth growing for the foliage.
GREVILLE

Re: Jacaranda mimosifolia in the uk.

Post by GREVILLE »

I remember Jacarandas growing well in California where I brought home my 'hardy' Washingtonia filifera seedling more than twenty years ago. A weather station a short distance away would usually record a winter low around -5c to -8c most years. However, these frosts were always of very brief duration in dry air and followed by double digit maxima.

I suspect embryo flowers might have succumbed in these temperatures but the mature tree would be untouched. I don't think there would be enough sunshine and high temperatures to ripen the wood enough to encourage the bloom to form.

A sheltered spot in coastal cornwall ( pretty rare, I think) or a suntrap in Central London may keep a mature tree, but if it is just for foliage, you'd be more successful with a lookalike Albizzia....and you'd get flowers.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I have seen mature Jacaranda in Johannesburg and Lisbon. I know Jo'borg can get bloody cold and snow but as Greville has said it can get to 25+ during daylight. In my summer home in Cascais there are no Jacaranda as the winters are surprisingly long and damp. Basically if they cannot grow it in Portugal then you have no chance outside a warm conservatory in the UK.

If you can get free seed then go ahead and try but otherwise, do not bother imho.
Chad

Post by Chad »

As others have said it isn’t the winters here that are the problem it is the lack of summer heat.

I have had them survive for several years but they are very slow to ‘get going’. Without summer heat they don’t ripen the wood and there is significant die back each winter even though they are no where near their cold limit. Even as foliage plants they were unsatisfactory; looking miserable for most of the year. In a polytunnel they would be worth a go. All sorts of things that didn’t quite work outside seem happy in there!
2007_01011Sept0007small.JPG
Chad.
Dim

Post by Dim »

They grow wild in Pretoria South Africa .... (Pretoria is called Jackaranda city)

They are fairly hardy, but from what I understand, they do not like wet in winter (Pretoria receives summer rainfall, and very little rain during winter)

I have never seen one in Cape Town were it rains in winter ... they have a really nice strong fragrance when in bloom
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

A very common tree in Australian gardens, I have seen them grow and flower from Townsville in the tropical north right down to chilly Hobart which shows they dont need too much summer heat. As for not growing in damp winters, they do very well in winter rainfall climates in southern Australia such as Adelaide and Melbourne and places inland with severe winter frosts.

Sadly they grow here in Darwin but are very shy to flower due to our year round hot climate, seems they need a winter dormancy to produce flower buds. A good cool dry season and you can expect a handful of flowers and thats about it but most years no flowers at all but still a lovely ferny canopy.

Considering that we have so many spectacular flowering tropical trees here like Delonix regia, Peltophorum pterocarpum and Lagerstromia indica to name a few, its not that much of a loss...
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Thanks for all the replies. icon_thumleft I was hoping someone had tried one in a mild part of the u.k and had good results.I grew one from seed about 18mths ago,it is already filling a 3l pot,stands about 3ft high and looking really healthy.I bought some more seed for 99p this summer,I now have about 20 young plants,so I can afford to experiment with them.This year they will stay inside but I won't have room next winter,so it will ebay or left outside.