Im all ready for winter

Panama Pete

Im all ready for winter

Post by Panama Pete »

I've finished wrapping my Basjoo last week, and ive now put all my pot planted palms and other stuff into winter storage. Got through 5 bails of straw last week, and still have more as back up this year.

It feels freezing here tonight so I have popped some fleece round some of the tree ferns and palms. All my dahlia are lifted and labelled. I do them earlier than most as I label to detail the name. Once they have been frosted a few times and have no flower to identify I find it difficult to know what they are, and my colour theme goes wrong.

All Canna are also lifted, as are 20 Ensette's, but they need sorting out next. :wink:

Trying some new tactics this year in terms of overwintering. icon_salut
Attachments
end of the front garden until spring
end of the front garden until spring
ready for winter 2013 2.jpg
ready for winter 2013 3.jpg
The mini jungle winter hideout, my storage for the winter.
The mini jungle winter hideout, my storage for the winter.
stephenprudence

Re: Im all ready for winter

Post by stephenprudence »

A wise idea indeed, I wish I had taken your route!

That looks in good shape.

I thought I'd leave mine until the the frost looked like coming and this morning, I paid the price for not doing it earlier..

Just a little warning to those who think they won't wrap until a frost is due... don't play that lottery if it means you will lose something.

I think we can all take a leaf out of your book!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Panama Pete wrote:I do them earlier than most as I label to detail the name. Once they have been frosted a few times and have no flower to identify I find it difficult to know what they are, and my colour theme goes wrong.
IKWYM :)

I label all my plants that need to come in during October - both to make sure that they have name labels (which will then come in with the plant) but also to give them a coloured [but blank] label which indicates what treatment they want (+5c, Frostfree and bone dry, or Frostfree with some water), then as they come into the greenhouse it makes it easier to group things that need same treatment together, rather than trying to look each one up as it is lifted.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Good work. Not had timr to do that. I need to get to next weekend so I can lift and pot up my basjoo. Where did you get all the straw from?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Re the last pic. Do you store those plants dark and dry (like American basements?) or do you use lighting?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Tom2006 wrote:I need to get to next weekend so I can lift and pot up my basjoo.
Not hardy up your way? or the plant as yet too small perhaps?
Last edited by Kristen on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Looks great

Getting 2 straw bales from the farm tonight, next weekend is the big wrap.
derrick

Post by derrick »

IM going to wrap my Basjoo again .I will look for the timber for the frames weekend .Got the insulation the plastic . Other stuff inside in the conservatory and in the windows .I have plants that stay wet in one window and dry plants in another window .
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

derrick wrote:IM going to wrap my Basjoo again .I will look for the timber for the frames weekend .Got the insulation the plastic . Other stuff inside in the conservatory and in the windows .I have plants that stay wet in one window and dry plants in another window .
4 canes, and chicken wire, with zip ties, is the fastest cage method and holds strawer brilliantly.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine are all young basjoo so want to get them through this winter. I plan to plant out next spring for good. Winter 2010 killed mine despite protecting like Pete.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Nice work there Panama Pete :wink:
stephenprudence wrote:Just a little warning to those who think they won't wrap until a frost is due... don't play that lottery if it means you will lose something.!
Slight gamble here with the winds still Westerly. I might eat humble pie if those winds drop again like last night :ahhh!:
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

You've,e done well Peter! I dug out me maurrelli's at the weekend but that's all so far. Off on Wednesday so planning to get my dahlia,s and cannas out then :)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

how much damage will a few frosts this week do to Ensetes and Musa Basjoo as mine are all still out. Ensetes I can treat as bedding though worst case.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi chaps,

Straw from the local farm was £4 pound a bail, 'ive seen it @ £2 a bail further rural you go. The storage is in natural light, the picture was taken late last night after I shifted everything in to avoid tonight's frost. Were not too bad in Nottingham Kristen regarding temperatures but I never gamble with frost damage.

'ive been out and fleeced everything now. Home bargains
now have the 5 meter fleece for a £1 a pack so ive stocked up. icon_salut
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I wish I had finished covering my Medullaris now we have started with frost.